Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator with Smartwater feature.

Customer Question

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator with Smartwater feature. The water dispeses from the door without problem, but the ice gets stuck at the spring loaded "trap door" and does not fall through. I hear the impeller churning, and it delivers ice to the door's "catch basin", but the ice will not fall through the front....

Can you advise on a quick fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you may have a broken ice bin , the front of these are plastic and break easy, there may be a piece stuck it the front of the bin preventing ice from comming through or your flap is not opening to let the ice out , check that first, also can you get me the model #? thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the flap is not opening enough to let the ice fall through. I can push the ice through from the back. The spring loaded door feels like it has too strong of a hold on the flap.

The model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is your problem, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its the solenoid that opens the flap and these rust and need to be replaced. heres a diagram on the assembly, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Great. Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

The new solenoid works great. As you said, the old solenoid was completely rusted.

It was a pain dissasembling and reassembling the door and getting to the electronic components... but I'd rather do it myself and learn the "ins-and-outs" of the appliance.

Your advice was right on. You know your stuff!

I need to reslove a problem on GE dryer too. The sensor which times out the dryer seems to be the problemThe dryer keeps running even after the clothes are dry. I replaced it but I still have the same problem. Ducts are clean...

This was my first time using Just Answer. If I come back with this problem, how can I get a response from you personally?

Do you have experience on Commercial Laundry equipment? My family owns a Laundromat... I have a few issues I need to resolve there too...

Thanks again,

Will