Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

maytag washing machine drum seems off its axis. keeps smacking

Customer Question

maytag washing machine drum seems off its axis. keeps smacking the sides; definitely not spinning correctly. how can i fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, Myself and the other Experts are anxious to help you, it will help to have the make and model number of the appliance we are talking about and any other info that you may think is important that you did not list in your original post to us. We are working hard to make you happy...

Warning, If you opt me out from helping you, I will not be able to respond back,,,,Use this option only if you do not wish to communicate with me any further...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
maytag MAV3955EWW - machine was washing load of whites including one queen sheet and a mattress pad when we left the house. came home to find the machine had moved about two feet from the wall and wash was still wet. unloaded some items to see if it was just off balance, but when we repositioned the drum and turned it back on, it didn't stay in place and kept smacking the sides. wonder if something has snapped that was holding the drum in place?
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

There could be about 3 things causing this to happen,

1. The remaining load still keeps it off balance, try another wash with some regular clothes and see if it still happens.
  2. Snubber ring that is located under the gearcase got wet or oil on it from something causing no friction to stabilize the drum
  3. a spring broken on the outer tub

Most likely the remaining load was keeping it off balance though..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, chas. we had taken the two larger items out when we tried to reposition it and it still went off kilter so i thought we were in trouble. after reading your response, i took almost everything out and reset the machine and now it seems to be spinning fine.
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
Glad I could help.