Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have explained it fully already.

I have explained it fully already.
sorry but i see no info on here ,,, how can i help you today
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is very disappointing!! I wrote a full description -- where is it??
Here is the problem --
I have a Maytag side-by-side refrigerator, model MSD2356AE, serial 11714746WS, 22.9 cu ft. We were away from home for a short period. On return, all frozen items (about $200 worth) were soft/melted, and neither the freezer nor refrig.compartments were cool inside. There was considerable ice back up against the wall of the freezer. We emptied the fridge and turned it off. Naturally the ice melted (which we expected) but in addition water came from under the fridge flooding the floor. We moved the fridge and cleaned up the water and floor. We left the fridge off to see whether all the water had finished leaking. A few hours later, floor was flooded again. I have (this morning) read numerous complaints about Maytag refrigerators on a consumer website and am reluctant to spend money to get this fixed if the fridge will continue to have problems. What to do??? I did not buy the fridge myself--it was in the house we bought last year, but the fridge is NOT old, probably 2-3 yrs.
was this all ice or was there frost inside on the back wall and is the water still running out
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, I don't know. I didn't examine it to see whether it was actually ice or frost, but it may have been thick frost; whatever it was, it appeared to be blocking the cooling apparatus. Yes, there is water coming from under the fridge, not a lot, but enough to be a concern. Last night I still heard minor "cracking/clicking" noises as though ice were still melting -- but I'm not an expert, so I don't know!
look at the icemaker and tell me if the bucket under the icemaker is full of a solid piece of ice and feel inside the icemaker and tell me if there is any ice in it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fridge has been turned off for almost 48 hours now, so all the ice is melted (if it was there). I have (just now) managed to remove the bucket and it is empty.
This also reminds me, we have never been able to get crushed ice (or ice) since we have moved into the house, even though the drinking water was cold.
look at the icemaker and tell me where the fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker itself is pointing inside the icemaker
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I am understanding, the little white fingers are pointing straight out, i.e., not up or down. The little metal bar was "up" but even when I push it (gently) down, the fingers don't move. Have I understood the question?
yes you understood ,,, would you say they are pointing towards 2 oclock or where
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, probably 2 oclock, leaning towards 3.
do you have the fridge plugged up now
do you have the fridge plugged up and turned on now
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the fridge is unplugged. Do you want me to turn it on?
yes please and then get back to me
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, I've just plugged it back in. It has been off for nearly 48 hrs. The motor is running smoothly.
sorry to be so long but i have to get up and move around ,,,, do you see any signs of water now
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's OK.
Before turning the fridge back on, we moved it and thoroughly wiped the floor again so everything was completely dry underneath. I have just now slid a paper towel under it and it came back with damp spots on it. This could either be further drops of water leaking out, or perhaps the paper towel is touching the underneath part of the fridge which may have been still damp. Perhaps we should wait awhile? Then get back to you after 30-60 minutes? What is your advice?
sound good ,,, let it set about 30 minutes and then pull the fridge out a little more and tell me if you see any water build up ,,,, i will be leaving in a couple hours and taking my two grandsons to get them a suit each ,,, we are taking them on a cruise next month
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. I'll get back to you in 30 mins. Can you please just reply now so that I have a "reply" space to connect with you again in 30 mins. Thanks.
sure no problem ... shout back when your ready
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Larry, no more water coming from underneath the fridge.
However, I'm not sure if this is an indicator of anything, because water flooded the floor from underneath the fridge only AFTER we had unplugged the fridge and the ice melted (if the water flooding the floor from underneath the fridge was indeed melting ice). There had been no water on the floor before we unplugged the fridge, and we were expecting only the ice (or thick frost) on the back wall of the freezer to melt. The additional water coming from underneath the fridge was unexpected after we unplugged it.
The freezer now feels nice and cold, but it's too early to tell yet whether the water in a half-filled plastic bottle is going to freeze. The refrig. compartment also feels nice and cool.
In my (very) inexpert opinion, the ice or thick frost on the back of the freezer caused it to stop freezing. The problem is, what caused the ice/thick frost to build up?
The crushed ice problem is separate, and we can live with that, if we have to. The main concern is to have a working refrigerator. As I mentioned earlier, I'm reluctant to spend money on it because I've read so many bad reviews of Maytag refrigerators not working even after being fixed. Thankfully, we have a very old refrigerator in the basement that is working fine. So much for progress!!
If I have further problems with the freezer, is there a way I can get back in touch with you? Sorry for the long reply.
here is what i'm thinking ,,, the drain in the backside inside the freezer was stopped up and it could not drain until it got melted out ,,, the sizzling was the defrost heater and thats normal and it was melting out the frost and then it was leaking into the bottom of the freezer to build up and loose temp ... the other is the icemaker module hung in the fill point and kept filling and caused a ice blockage to do this and to fix it you would have to replace the icemaker ,,,, after having the fridge unpluged and water drained then the hrain hole is open and no farner work need to be done ,,,, if you have more water then check the icemaker and then the water valve on the back of the fridge ,,,, right now i believe its ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Larry. I hope that the problem has now "fixed itself" and can only wait and see. So far (only one hour) it looks positive. Thanks for your help.
I did not actually hear any sizzling, only a few clicks (as though ice were melting). I still don't know what caused the drain to stop up, but never mind the reason if it is now working OK again!
Have a great cruise with your family and grandsons!
Thanks again.
thanks and if you need me i will be back on later / thanks again
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks again, Larry. Sorry it has taken so long to get back. I've been helping a friend move house today.
The fridge has been on for about 11 hours now and all seems well with the freezer.
When I logged into my e-mail just now, there were multiple new e-mails from you (or perhaps from some automatic response with your name). Is there something I should do to close this connection?
some kind of automatic response i believe ,, ,,, i'll make sure its closed / thanks again