Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I have a 253 model freezer I bought in 2002. A few years ago

I have a 253 model freezer I bought in 2002. A few years ago the circuit board was replaced under service contract. I no longer have a service contract. The freezer is maintaining a temp of between 0 and -9 degrees, but the temp alarm keeps going off. I've put in at least 5 different batteries over the last week. The alarm will reset for up to 12 hours or so and then go off again. I reset it and 12 hours later, it goes off again. The compressor doesn't seem to be running constantly, but is cycling as it should. Any ideas about that alarm? How do I disable the alarm permanently? Is this a bad idea, if I monitor a thermometer continuously?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
may i have the complete model number please
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
please resend and leave a space between the third and forth number / thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
253 22402100 repeat 253 22402100
under the bottom of the freezer you have a box thats called a high voltage electronics and the part number isNNN-NN-NNNNand it cost $83.91 and it would be the beast to replace it ... if you unplug the alarm then you could short out the electronics board or never know when the freezer quits and you will loose all your food ,,,, its #54 in this picture / thanks and if no other questions then please hit the accept button and have a great day / Larry
you can order online from
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this replacement part controlling the alarm circuit only and the freezer remains functional?
it controls all functions of the freezer ,,, the alarm is the two small wires coming from the front by the grill to the box and it plugs on ,,, you can unplug it till you get the new part but i would not leave it unhooked
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Larry, the module was replaced and the battery changed. The original symptoms still persist. Is there another part that may be faulty, like a thermostat or temperature control unit?? The instruction sheet that came with the replacement module mentioned a "thermistor" and a "cold control." By the way, this is the second time this electronic module has been replaced on this freezer, once when it was less than 1 yer old and still under warranty.
there is a thermistor inside behind the cover with the temp control and you can try that but i would not worry about the temp control ,, it cools or dont cool ... the part number for the thermistor is 216843804 and it cost $11.20 ,,, it tells it when the defrost is and isnt working right ,, the module is always the problem on these but strange things does happen
its #150 in this picture