Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

My Ice make is making ice but it wont discharge the ice in

Customer Question

My Ice make is making ice but it won't discharge the ice in the door panel. The metal thing in the back turns but to no avail. What should I do.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

Is the door chute opening?

Can we get the make and model number please?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes the door chute opens.

Whirlpool Side by side - not sure of the model number
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

Your problem could be a broken plastic part that moves the ice to the chute. It would be inside the ice bin. This is the part that the metal thing at the back turns. if the metal part is turning, it should turn this plastic part inside the ice bin to move the ice towards the chute.

Remove the whole ice bin, remove all the ice and you would see the part I am talking about. It could be broken.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Frances - I checked that and it seems to be working just fine. It spins fine when I take the bin out and empty the ice. Is it possible that when the door is closed the ice box for some reason isn't connecting to the mechinism that turns the plastic piece inthe ice box?
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.
You can test this by opening the freezer door, install back the whole ice bin without the ice, then press the door switch then press the dispenser for the cube. Watch if the plastic thing would turn.

Another thing to look at is the solenoid at the back of the freezer. It is attached to a square thing that lifts a rod at the back of the ice bin. Check if this is activating by pressing the door switch then press the dispenser to get cube ice. If you would dispense crushed ice, this would not activate.