Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

GE Refrigerator Model GSS20IEMB WW The freezer coils completely

GE Refrigerator Model GSS20IEMB WW
The freezer coils completely froze over so I unplugged the fridge and defrosted them. Plugged it back in and it seems to be cooling correctly but now when I close the freezer door I hear a gurgling sound for a few seconds. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

Press the door switch of the freezer and observe if you can hear the noise continuously.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it's just for about 5 seconds after the door is intially closed. I can send a video with sound if that would help.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
That would be good. You can send it here through You tube.

OK. Let me just clarify. The sound would happen 5 seconds after you close the door.

But when you open the door and press the switch, there is no sound being produced?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is correct. It only happens when I actually close the door. Pressing the switch does not produce sound.

Another thing that I just discovered. I pulled my fridge out from the wall so I could get a better sound for the video and it doesn't make the sound at all. I pushed the fridge back to where is was and the sound came back.

Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Gurgling sound as if air is passing through water right? When you gurgle listerine. So if you pull the unit then could it be under the freezer door, the drain pan is full of water and the drain hose could be touching the water already so as you close the door, air would be passing through the drain hose to the water that would create the gurgling sound.

It is also because you said you just defrosted the unit, so the drain pan is pretty much full now.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a fan or something that runs right after you close the door? Where is the drip pan on my model so that I can empty it to see if that was the problem?
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the evaporator fan runs as you close the door. The pan is underneath the freezer section. If you remove the front grill, look underneath the freezer section, the drain pan should be there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to head to work. When I get home I will see if I can get the water out of the pan to see if that fixes the issue. IF so I will certainly accept the answer. Thanks for all of you help. This is a great service.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
You are very much welcome.

If the sound would be gone later on the day, then what could have happened is that the water evaporated. This is how it should work. All the water from the evaporator that was created while defrosting is being blown by the warm air from the compressor and the condenser. This warm air would evaporate the water from the drain pan and would dry it up .

Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Francis
The noise was still happening when I got home last night so I took that screen off the back of the fridge and used my shop vac to suck all of the water out of the drain pan and out of the drain line. Poof, no more noise. Thanks for your help.