Luke
Luke, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  6 years of appliance repair experience with a network of other technicians to solve your problem.
15578194

My Amana bottom freezer refrigerator constantly makes a croaking

Customer Question

My Amana bottom freezer refrigerator constantly makes a croaking noise if the freezer door is shut. If I open the freezer, the noise stops. If I depress the switch near the freezer light, (or close the freezer door) the noise begins again. How do I get the noise to stop? I have already vacuumed the coils on the back of the freezer and under the front.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

Can you notice if there is an accumulation of frost inside the back wall of the freezer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not much -Just enough frost to scrape off with fingernails.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
I am thinking that the noise is coming from the evaporator fan. Either it just needs lubrication or it could be touching the ice that could have build up inside if you have frost accumulation. And this is caused by a problem with the defrost cycle of the unit.

The fan is controlled by the door switch. It would stop when the door is open and run if the door were close.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There's not much ice buildup, so how do I lubricate the fan?
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
You have to open the rear cover of the freezer. This would exposed the fan motor of the evaporator and you can then lubricate it.

Remove all the food in the freezer, remove the racks, the back wall will be exposed and being hold by 4-6 screws, 1/4 hexagonal or cross tip screws. Remove the screws and slowly pull the back wall of the freezer. The fan will now be exposed so you can lubricate it.

If the back wall is being held by the frost on the evaporator, let it thaw for a while before forcing the wall off the unit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was no frost holding back the wall. I lubricated the exposed fan, even though the sound did not seem to be coming from it. The noise is still there - I'm wondering if it has to do with the ice maker. I dumped all the ice out, and no new ice has been made even though the arm is up to make ice.
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
Hi I think I can help you with a different answer. It sounds like the ice maker is stuck in the harvest. It makes a croaking sound just like you are describing and is wired through the light switch so it would only make noise when the light switch is closed.
Luke, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 6 years of appliance repair experience with a network of other technicians to solve your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So how can I fix it?
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
<p>Take a look in the ice maker where are the arms pointed that rotate?</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The arm is resting down to produce ice.
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
<p>Not the bail arm. I am referring to the stripper arm. They are white and run the length of the ice maker. Where are they pointed?</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see anything like that. Are you referring to the blades that are sunken in the mechanism?
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
Yes are they pointed straight down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess they're pointed straight down because they are not sticking out at all.
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
Ok hold the light switch and listen to the ice maker to see if thats where you are getting that noise from.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the noise is coming from the ice maker.
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
Ok do you notice any ice jamming the operation of the ice maker?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cleaned out jammed ice a few hours ago - still no more ice.
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
Then you need a new ice maker asm. Generally run around 100 dollars.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Is this something I can replace myself, or is it best to have an appliance repairman fix it?
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
They actually are very simple. The ice maker hangs by two 1/4" screws and there is a wire connection on the back of the ice maker. Positive feedback is appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So is it the entire ice maker within the freezer I replace, or just the arm? I'm not sure by what you meant by ice maker asm.
I appreciate your patience with me!
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
The entire ice maker. If you give me your model number I could get the part number for you. I wanted to ask one more thing. Did you ever notice hollow cubes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Amana model ARB2557CB
I never noticed(or paid enough attention to see) hollow cubes.
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
Part number D7824706Q. I only asked about the cubes just to confirm my diagnosis 100 percent.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your patience and help!!
Expert:  Luke replied 5 years ago.
No problem