Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

I have an Amana Radarange over the oven unit which is several

I have an Amana Radarange over the oven unit which is several years old but has been a great microwave. Just recently a problem has occurred sometimes. The unit will Beep and on the LED Screen it will say LOCKED. Then you can do nothing with the buttons. I have been throwing the Breaker for a little while, turning it back on and it will work until the next time it decides to go down.

I need to know if there is just one part to replace so I can make a decision on keeping the unit or replacing it.

The Model of the Amana Microwave is MVH250L

Thanks in advance,
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

The problem is like a computer freezes. It is like a software hanged. If you are inclined to soldering, I can suggest that you replace all capacitors on the main board. You could find about 4 to 6 capacitors. Replace all of them and use it again and observe if it would solve your problem. Be careful with the polarity and the value of the capacitors. Do not be confused in returning them.
The capacitor stores voltages and sometimes, if they becomes weak, they can no longer store voltages and would have a hanging effect on the display .

If you can not replace the capacitor, then replace the main board of the unit. $144.00

With these expenses, you can decide whether to just buy a new microwave.