Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I am unable to open the freezer on my freezer on the bottom

I am unable to open the freezer on my freezer on the bottom Amana refrigerator. Last week I turned the freezer off and cleaned it out because the door was not opening properly and ice was building up on the bottom of the freezer. The handle on the door has come off for the second time because the door is so difficult to open. After cleaning the freezer out, I closed the door, turned the freezer back on, and went to bed. Six hours later, I tried to open the door and it will not open on the right side at all. My dealer suggested the rubber gasket was frozen and told me to get a hair drier and warm it up. I can run a soft rubber egg turner around the door gasket without any trouble, so it is not frozen. What do I do now? For a number of months the door has not closed completely on the left side so I have been getting a terrible buildup of frost on the left side. The dealer also suggested that the discharge tube was frozen and that is why I am getting a buildup of ice on the bottom. Help!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.
If you have ice buildup on the floor of your freezer and that is freezing the door shut...Then it sounds like your defrost drain is clogged....The drain is located behind the back metal panel in the freezer...When the fridge goes thru a defrost cycle the defrost heater comes on...Which melts the excess ice build up on evaporator coils,,,Then the thawed water from defrost cycle goes down the drain....If the drain is frozen over the water will flow onto the feezer floor then out the door....You need to make sure the defrost drain is clear...Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I understand that the drain is frozen. However, since I cannot open the freezer drawer, I can't defrost the drain. Do you think I should unplug the refrigerator and put all my food in a cooler and let everything defrost, including the drain. My dealer suggested I get a turkey baster, fill it with hot water and defrost the drain. My biggest problem is that I cannot open the freezer drawer and I am tired of having to put the handle back on the drawer. I wonder if the rollers on the freezer drawer are not working.
sorry abou the delay here....Yes unplug let it thaw then you would be able to repair the problem...Thanks Bob

If you have a model number i can give you a breakdown on how to get to drain...Bob

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My Amana model # XXXXX XXXXX After a week of keeping the temp. turned up high in the freezer my son was finally able to pull the drawer open just now. The glides or rollers on the freezer are very difficult to move. There is no food or anything else stuck on them as I very carefully cleaned the freezer and wiped it down inside. No freezer door should be that difficult to open. Also why is the handle pulling off. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that door should not be so difficult to open. I am going to check the diagonal on the box and see if it is out of line. the refrigerator is level, I just checked it. I will get back to you.
Yes that is why i asked for the model number...Your problem is within the slides...Or the gears on the rack shaft...#9..#7....If the gears are not installed even across the back then that will make the drawer hard to pull out...what you have to do is remove drawer and make sure the gears are at the same distance on both sides of the drawer...It should roll pretty smooth.....Your problem has nothing to do with ice freezing up...Thanks Bob
graphic