Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Our dryer is pretty young...6 years, I guess, plus or minus.

Customer Question

Our dryer is pretty young...6 years, I guess, plus or minus. We got it used from my mother. However, it seems to leave dark lint all over our clothes.

I have checked the exhaust path, and everything is wide open and clear from the back of the dryer through the hose to the vent. There is even lint in the lint trap. Exhaust heats up. I'm confused. Our previous Maytag NEVER left lint on our clothes like this.

Is our Maytag Neptune (MGD5500AWW) Dryer a lemon, or is there something else I can check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 years ago.

lancebrownce

#1This is a gas model ,the lint you are talking about could it be suet from you burner?

#2 Have you had this issue as long as you have had the dryer ?

#3 And did it work fine at your mothers?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey there!

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes it is a gas model. It is definately not soot, because it shows in kind of a pilly form on the clothes and it comes off with persistent use of a lint roller.

2. We have had it for about 4 months now. The first time I remember my wife complaining about it was maybe 6 weeks ago, so it's a little hard to tell if it's always been there and we just recently notices, or if it started 6 weeks ago.

3. My mom never had the problem, and we never noticed it when we used the appliance at her house. She would never have stood for it, because she's a real clean freak. My mom lived 1000 miles away, so when she moved down here, she gave us the appliances because her apartment came with them. Damaged during shipment???

Thanks for your consideration,

-Lance
Customer/p>

if it is not soot , the only other things it could be would be lint or the drum gaskets coming apart

Gasket are on either end of drum .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciated your response...however, I didn't think it was the drum gasket, and we knew it was lint from the beginning, because that was what was getting all over the clothes.

As it turns out, the repairman found that it was an issue with the drain for the washer. That was causing a residue to be left on the clothes that would not come off in the dryer, and turned into a "linty" substance when dried.

Strange.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm going to go ahead and decline payment at this time. I appreciated having someone else's thoughts on the matter, however, the justanswer solution did nothing toward:

1) finding the actual problem, or
2) getting us a solution>
3) Ultimately, we were in the exact same place as when we started and had to hire someone to come out to repair it.

However, I did find the process interesting, and may try it again sometime.

-Lance