Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have an out of warranty Kenmore gas range (modelNNN-NN-NNNN

Customer Question

I have an out of warranty Kenmore gas range (modelNNN-NN-NNNN that I need to replace the ignitor electrode on the front right burner. I am looking for instructions or a manual that will show me how to do this. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX pulling up. Could you double check it for me? Also, do you need the electrode or do you already have it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already have the electrode (received from Sears yesterday). The model number is XXXXX (perhaps a Canadian model #?).
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Okay. Let me try a different place.

Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Are your burners sealed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think so. There are three hex nuts that hold the burner base to somewhere under the range top. Looks like there is a small gap bewteen therange top and burner base.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.
I cannot pull the unit up online but on all the units I have worked on you have to remove the hex head screws from the burner you want to work on and lift it out slowly. The electrode will come with it. Once removed, you can detach the wire and install the new electrode. If the gasket under the burner rips in any way, you do not have to replace it. Just clean it off completely and put it down without the seal. This is the factory recommended repair on Whirlpool and GE products.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I have to remove the small set screw located beside the ignitor?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

You have to in order to remove the ignitor. Make sure when you install the new one that it is close enough to spark but not to close. About an 1/8 of an inch is great.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have removed the 3 hex nuts, but I have to lift the range top in order to access the burner base. How do I do that? Are there any screws in the back I have to remove in order to lift the top?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.
There should not be any screws on the top itself. At least there are not on the american built models. I definitely would not pry on it hard. If there are any screws they will be in the front of the top under the lip.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.
Just checking to see if you got it done.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not yet. Haven't been home long enough this weekend to tackle this. If I run into any further complications, I will let you know.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Okay. Have a good night!