Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

kenmore gas range(NNN) NNN-NNNNtakes a very long time for the oven

Customer Question

kenmore gas range(NNN) NNN-NNNNtakes a very long time for the oven to pre heat. suspect thermostat or something else?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
start the range up and tell me if the gas every turns off while it's preheating or if the flame is on the entire time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
flame is on entire time. warm air at the vent until the oven finally heats
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
hmm ok is the oven going higher than it should before it shuts off or what do you think is taking it so long. How long is it actually taking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
doesn't go higher than it should, just takes 30-60 minutes to reach set tmp so preheat light goes out
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
look at the burner flame by removing the floor inside the oven. How large are the flames coming out of the burner?

Is this propane or natural gas? Has then ever been installed somewhere else or installed in a propane setting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
flames are yellow, 2-3 inches, natural gas, only installation
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok well that sounds normal. So if the unit is taking too long to heat and the flame isn't going out, or the flame isn't too small, or the oven isn't overheating----your losing heat somehow. The only place you can really lose heat out of the oven it out the door so make sure the door is shutting securely and not leaking hot air out of it. If it's leaking air then you may need a new door seal. If the door doesn't have tension pulling it to the closed position then you may need new hinges.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we aren't losing heat, the oven is not heating
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
sorry but can't help you. It's obviously heating if the burner has flames that are 2-3 inches long and the flame isn't going out--- what more do you expect the burner to do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm afraid this wasn't very helpful
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
well 2 + 2 doesn't equal 6. Something isn't adding up from what your saying so I recommend you call a technician out there to get a pair of eyes on your appliance that can see what's not being seen over the computer.