Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

Can I adjust how the door hangs on my Kenmore Coldspot model#106.9608210

Can I adjust how the door hangs on my Kenmore Coldspot model#106.9608210? The refrigerator has lost it's ability to cool and there is a gap between the door and the body where the gasket does not seal .
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.

You can adjust it but you will have to check the hinge and make sure it is not bent. If it is you will have to replace it. If it is not, you will have to use a washer to lift it up to where it will seal. It is best to use the plastic washers they use to reduce friction. The part number for the washer is 487802 and they cost 5.12 a piece(outrageous). I have circled the parts to look at on the diagram below. I hope this helps you.

graphic

Expert:  Robert replied 5 years ago.
Were you able to get that door straightened out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. Wife's surgery and harvesting our crops. I now do not think the door is the problem. When I put my level on the doors they are level but the top of the frig is out just about a half bubble. Right now the frig is kinda cool but not cold and the freezer is the same way. When I first noticed the problem i adjusted the temp in both. That worked for a while but eventually they both went back to being kinda cool. They cool down when the outside temp cools. The frig seems to be working okay in all other aspects. I can hear it running and the fan is blowing air around inside. Is ther a switch that could have gone bad?

Thanks for the help so far.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Look for frost on the interior back wall of the freezer. If it does have frost let me know. Also, check the fan on the back by the compressor. Make sure it is running also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no frost on the interior back wall and the compressor is really warm almost and i do not see a fan. The compressor is the small oval shaped item at the bottom rear of the frig?
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is. If you have no fan down there that means you have a series of black coils on the back of the refrigerator. Make sure the fan in the freezer is running also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the fan in the frezzer is running.
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
If the gasket is sealing, the fan is running and the compressor is also running, but your refrigerator is not cooling correctly, it sounds like you are either low on freon OR you have a restriction in the line somewhere and it will have to be cleaned out. This is better than the compressor being out and less expensive to repair but some techs do not like to rod out a restriction without replacing the compressor. It can be done and is a easy repair. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.