Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

It appears that the air break fitting is leaking. Before I

It appears that the air break fitting is leaking. Before I took the top off it was leaking during the hot only fill cycle. After I took the top off water comes out of the top of the fitting when we try to fill it with hot or cold water. If I have to change the fitting one of the clamps appears factory installed and not easy to get off. Any suggestions.
If you are talking about the air break on a Maytag unit, the drain hose on the inside is factory clamped. The new air break will have a new clamp that is tightened with a 5/16 nut driver. To get the factory clamp off, just cut it with a pair of wire cutters. If you are not talking about a Maytag, let me know the model number and I will look it up for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX L:

So, are you saying that a good air break valve on a Maytag unit (which mine is) should NOT be leaking when the machine is being filled with water?

In your opinion, if water is coming out of that valve, does that automatically mean that it is a faulty valve and needs replacing?

Thanks!

Customer/p>
Yes. An airbreak should not leak. It should create a water tight seal until the water passes it and then allow air in to stop any siphoning so that the unit can fill again.