Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a GE Monogram side by side refrigerator model ZFSB23DND

I have a GE Monogram side by side refrigerator model ZFSB23DND SS which is not keeping it's temperature on the freezer side (it is set at 0 and is currently at 8) and water is appearing in the In-Door water / ice dispenser tray as well as on the floor from the bottom left hand corner. Any suggestions on what might be the issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
do you see any frost on the back inside wall of the freezer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, there is not any frost in the freezer.
with the freezer door open push in on the door switch and tell me if the fan blows inside the freezer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I open the door and push the door switch, I can hear an electric motor start, but not sure if the fan is blowing or not. I didn't feel anything from the fan slots in the back of the freezer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, just checked again. And I do feel a little bit of air movement from the blower when the door switch is pushed.
remove the back panel from inside the freezer and tell me how much frost if any is on the coil behind the panel
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I see the back panel on the bottom 1/3 of the freezer. It seems to be attached on the left side, but not sure how it is attached.
the back panel has 4 screws in it ,, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom of the bottom panel
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't see anything that would be attached by screws. The back panel is a solid piece with the ice maker at the top 1/4th and a molded plastic piece at the bottom 1/3 which appears to be attached by clips. While trying to figure out how to remove the back panel the freezer has gone from 8 to 19 degrees.
it is most likely covered with frost ,,, push around on the inside back panel and tell me if it sounds like a crushing sound
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does sound like crushing ice when I push on the back of the freezer. I take it that isn't a good sign?
no it isnt a good sign ,,, thats why it isnt cooling like it should ,,, with the fridge door open push and release the light switch 5 times in 5 seconds and tell me if the fridge shuts down
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean be "..if the fridge shuts down". I pressed and released the switch 5 times and nothing really happened. Every time I pressed the switch, the light turned off and it a fan started up.
if you can press the light switch in 5 times in 5 seconds and the fridge goes off then the heater is bad and if it dont shut off then the board is bad ,,,, try it again and tell me what happens
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, so after pressing the switch 5 times, the light stays on, so I assume that means the fridge is still on?
yes ... you will need to open the freezer and defrost out the freezer and replace th motherboard on the back of the fridge behind a 6x8 panel ,,,, the part number is XXXXX and it cost $222.99 online at www3.sears.com or at a local appliance parts dealer .... its #801 in this picture / thanks and if no other questions then please hit the accept button for me and have a great day / Larry
graphic