Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hello I have a Whirlpool dishwasher, type 280-2 Model

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher, type 280-2
Model # XXXXX
Serial # XXXXX

It made a loud grinding noise and started leaking.
When I took it apart, the plastic impeller shaft had sheared off.
I replaced the impeller, bearings and seals, and also the chopper blade and spring(which had deformed)

Now, it does not leak and runs (sort of). The motor runs in "wash" cycle for about 20 seconds and then stops for several minutes, runs again for 20 seconds, and so forth. It does not finish the entire cycle. If I press "cancel/drain" it drains fine.

What do you recommend?

Thanks you,

Fremont, NH
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is Bryan, this sounds like your motor is overheating and shutting down,(it has an overload protector in it) I think your motor is bad, these are the parts you replaced right? Part 830831unfortunatly when this had the original problem it probably damaged the motor, I would replace the whole pump and motor assembly if you want to repair this, its expensive though, around $220.00 Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= I know this isnt the answer you wanted to hear but unfortunatly its the only one besides replacing the dish washer. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, those are the parts I replaced. Thank you for your diagnosis. It saves me a lot of time and trouble.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no problem , I wish I had better news for you though, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have the option of ordering just the motor, or the motor plus pump assembly.

Should I get the motor plus pump assembly or just the motor?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well I find its better to order the whole pump and motor that way you know nothing is going to be in wrong and its much easier to just drop the whole thing in and plug the wires in and hoses and your done. a little hint though , use a very small amount of dawn dish detergent on the rubber gasket when seating the pump and motor. just put a very small amount on the rubber and it will slip into place easier. hope this helps, thanks Bryan