John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My Whirlpool washing machine is tearing my clothes. My model

Customer Question

My Whirlpool washing machine is tearing my clothes. My model is LSR6132HQ1
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi Thanks for the question,With that washer the agitator must have a nick on the edge for it to do that,did you feel down at the bottom
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I did feel all around the bottom of the agitator, as I rotated it. There is a gap between the round lip and the bottom of the tub. Coild the clother be getting caught there?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

No they cant get caught there.

does the top part of the agitator work ok,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It appears to. Isn't the agitator one piece? The clothes are coming out clean, but the tearing is starting to get more frequent. I'd say there's one torn every other load now.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Heres your washer.look at the agitator , see if you can take it apart and look it over for a nick

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I pulled the agitator out, and felt all the edges for sharp nicks or breaks. I found none. the bottom fins, that resemble rocket fins, are a little rough on the tops, but nothing I would think would snag and tear clothes.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
How do you add the bleach to the washer and how much do you use,I have the same problem, Its my Wife , She uses bleach, and it weakens the fabric.If you use bleach
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Actually, we dont use bleach at all. My friend doesn't use clorine bleach. She just uses detergent.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Rub your hand inside the tub see is you cant feel any rough spots,other than that I cant tell you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your time. I did rub my hand all over the tub with the agitator out, looking for possibly something stuck in one of the holes. Nothing did I find. My friend might just chock this one up to possibly replacing it if it continues (which I think it will) thanks again. I won't be charged will I?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Your charged if you accept And your problem is not the washer,Thse washers dont rip clothes,I would look at the dryer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's easy to determine that the washer is causing the problem. We dry our clothes on the line outdoors. Thank you for your time. Have a nice evening.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
And you as well