Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile refrigerator (tbx25prbsraa) and it is not

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile refrigerator (tbx25prbsraa) and it is not defrosting. What is the problem? Thanks!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
Hi this is Bryan, more than likely its one of these two things, 1 the defrost timer is bad Part 3110132 the defrost thermostat is bad. Part 880016heres some diagrams to locate them, the defrost thermostat is part# XXXXX on this diagram, the defrost timer is not shown on the diagrams, I believe however its located where your controls are look up under the controls an see if you can find a hole where ther is a place to turn the timer , there should be a slot for a screw driver to turn the timer, let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there a way to check these parts to see if they are working correctly?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I have a fluke meter
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 8 years ago.
the easiest way to check is to turn the defrost timer till the fridge shuts off and wait 30-45 minutes and if the fridge does not come back on then your defrost timer is bad ,,
if it does come back on by itself then your defrost themostat is bad ,,,,, accept for Bryan if possable / thanks Larry
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will check those, how hot does the defrost coil get if it is working? Thanks!!

Joe

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well this can get red like a bake element in an oven some do and some dont get as red. you can check the continuity across the two spades on the element if you take the back panel in the freezer off and this is what it looks like. Part 1992you should have continiuty, these rarely go, unplug refrigerator first of course, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.