John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

washing machine wobbles, out of balance on spin cycle, with

washing machine wobbles, out of balance on spin cycle, with or without clothes. machine is level, all tension springs are connected, no obvious causes. machine has been in storage for several years and was just moved and hooked up. worked fine when it went into storage. I am very mechanical but thbis doesn't make sense. any help would be appreciated! thanks. XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Please send the Make & Model #

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it's a Roper #(NNN) NNN-NNNN heavy duty extra large capacity. it starts the spin cycle fine, but as speed builds it wobbles so bad it pounds the floor. if I open the top and start the spin, I can put some pressure on the back side of the rotating drum and it smoothes out a little. wash cycle seems to work fine. no other indicators I can see.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Heres how to fix that problem.Set the washer where you want it,level as best you can.Now tilt the washer towards you about 5 in then let it drop,The washer has self leveling legs ,So thats how we level the washer,It works
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did as you said, no change. with the top open, no water on spin it starts smooth and as speed increases the drum begins to lurch. if I reach in and put pressure on the rear left side it smoothes out some, but still wobbles enough to pound the floor. the drum is able to move at the top front right the most with the machine off. it seems as if it should have some connection at the top, but it doesn't. I have lifted up on the drum to try to recenter it but that didn't help either.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Washing-Machine-Top-Load-Whirlpool-Style-Appliance-Diagram

Here is your washer,Look at under the agitator look at the drive blosk,the drive block could be worn check that,also look at each leg the pads could be worn check that

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll need to get back to this on monday. I'll be in touch and let you know what I find. thanks for your help! Scott
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Ok Good Luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i TOOK THE MACHINE APART, REMOVED THE TUB AND TESTED THE SPIN CYCLE. IT RAN SMOOTH WITH NO TUB. I CLEANED EVERYTHING AND REASSEMBLED IT. THE MACHINE AGAIN SHOOK VIOLENTLY ON SPIN. WHILE APART I NOTICED THE PLASTIC RING AROUND THE TOP OF THE DRUM HAS LIQUID INSIDE, IS THIS NORMAL? I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO CHECK.

thanks for your help, scott

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

When you took the tub out was the drive block sitting where it should be , on the drive tube theres ears sticking up they should slide on to the drive block

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Disconnect power first 7. Remove the basket. To remove the inner basket you will need a spanner tool to remove the inner basket, remove the agitator, remove the tank cover, remove the nut and lift up of the inner basket. You may be able to get away with using a straight screw driver and a hammer. Once the tub nut is off, sometimes the tub gets frozen to the center hub. If the tub will not lift out, sometimes putting one foot inside of the tub and stomping down will break it free. Two people, one on each side can also lift up and push down at the same time, may also break the inner basket free.

If it looked like this A bad drive block.Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the machine had never been apart before today, the drive block was and is over the ears. your drive block pic didn't come through on my screen, but it looked fine, no obvious wear or problems. what about the liquid in the top ring? could that be throughing the machine out of balance?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Yes that was my next question to you ,You said there was liquid in the ring,But if it lost some liquid it could cause that .And it looks like its the problem ,You checked all the other possibilities,The amount of liquid thats in there should be an even level,But how can you tell.So because all other could bes were checked.The ring it is,Very seldom happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I added some liquid and got the machine to run ok, until I can get a new part. thanks for all your help. I'm authorizing payment to you now.

Scott

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Thank you .All that problem ,And all it needed was a drink,Ha Ha
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.