The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

trying to program a sharp er-a420 register and need a little

Customer Question

trying to program a sharp er-a420 register and need a little assistance on two things. 1. I would like to have three different keys that are open, thus you can just ring in a dollar amount on. All of the other keys are programed for plu's and are working finr. 2. need to program a no sale key so the register can be opened without entering a sale.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.

Do you have the owners guide with you?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok please allow me a few minuets to locate the correct proceedure and I will walk you through it.

Thank you.

Ok the cashregister comes with these keys set up as default. (see below)

The NS key is a no sale key and should open the drawer without entering a sales amount.

I presume that you want the other cash amount keys for specific sales.

The RA and PO keys can be used for this purpouse. You just need to change the paper slip under the keys. If you need to have tax added with these sales you will have to program the keys to do this. If this is the case I have a lot of reading to do to walk you through the proceedure. This is a little more than I expected, but not an insurmountable task at all.

Please advise exactly what functions you need to incorporate in the three cash sales keys .

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The cash register did not come with a No Sale key pre programmed, thus we need to program one, using the PO key is fine, but we still need to program. The other three keys I have already programmed for their specified departments, now I need to be able to ring in various dollar amounts on them. I have tried the programming that seems to fit, selecting them as "open" keys but I am receiving a "inv. unit operation" message when trying to use them. All of the other keys I have programmed for direct PLUS and they are working fine.

ok my bad
I was looking at the wrong unit. You have the 20 model not the 10 model.

This is going to require some reading and figureing on my part. If you could please allow me about a hour to read through the manual I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Ok to program the three keys as variable prices you need to assign them a department and then do not enter a price. .

In PGM2 -

Give this a try while I continue researching this.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok. except that i do not have a DEPT # XXXXX a G! key A x with a circle key or a TL key.

Ok you need to refer to the programming key chart on page 17 of the manual. You need to be in PGM2 (refrence page 15) mode for this to work.

Try this for the no sale key You may still have to hit the total key to open drawer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
page 17 is the operator display page. Page 12 lists the standard keyboard layout and does not show any of those keys. it only lists them as optional . the programming keyboard layout on page 63 also does not show any of those keys.

Ok I think we are on diffrent pages here. Please click here and let me know if this is your unit or not. This is the .pdf manual I am looking at.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the picture on the cover is the same, the inside text of the keyboard layout is not. could it be that the australian version you are looking at is different than the us version?

You know that probably is a good reason. Give me a bit to locate the US version.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that's ok. take your time.

Well it looks like I may have to refund your accept. The US manual is not available except through the authorized service department in Bakersfield. The first thing they wanted was a registration number. So much for the dealership providing a free copy. It is available on the web if I want to pay $29.95. Rotten rip off sites anyways!

I still have a couple tricks up my sleave. These will take some time. Tomorrow am would be the earliest I could have the manual if my friend can get it for me.

If I dont have it by then Ill have your accept refunded.

Sorry for the problems.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Well I am sorry but my friend was unable to locate a manual for your unit either.

I have submitted a request that your accept be refunded.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the mistake in the manual, and any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy

Please let me know if the funds are not returned to your account in a timely manor.

Thank you.