John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My Frigidaire gas oven will not turn on anymore. The stove

Customer Question

My Frigidaire gas oven will not turn on anymore. The stove burners are working but not the oven, no heat at all, unless I try preheat but then it is not enough to bake anything. It does not smell gas when I try to turn it on. I can't even put on broil, it shuts off automatically.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi Thanks for the question.The Glow Coil comes on ,Ignites the Gas .But not hot enough. Is that the problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nothing comes on. When I set it up for Bake at 350, it syas it is on and starts at 100 degrees and stays there forever, without any heat at all.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Here is some info on the problem,The Glow Coil is probably burnt out.You will have to take it out and check it for a break.Let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the glow coil and how does one change it?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
the glow bar system.....You may even see the orange "glow plug" (called a hot surface igniter) glowing orange and so assume that it's OK. Not necessarily!! You have to measure the current/amp drawn by the igniter and compare it to this repair sheet before you can say it's OK or not. The gas valve has a bi-metal that open when a certain amount of current flows through it to heat it up. The igniter is wired in series with the gas valve. As the igniter gets older or weaker, it's resistance increases to the point where not enough current is flowing to the gas valve bimetal to open it up. As a result, the gas valve never opens up. BTW, a common symptom of the early stages of this problem is erratic temperature control in the oven due to delayed firing of the bake burner while cooking.

The hot surface igniter will not come on - check igniter with a ohm meter, you should have continuity through the glow bar, the glow bar can also crack = new igniter time. The glow bar comes on but the main burner will not light - you should have an amp probe to check properly, but often this is a hot surface igniter problem. The hot surface igniter often looses it's ability to get hot enough to open the gas safety valve. The safety valve can fail, but most times it is just a bad hot surface igniter. The hot surface igniter can also quit part way through cooking , in other words the oven may cycle a couple of times and then it just sits there with the red glow from the igniter. See this service sheet for the proper way and amp readings for the hot surface igniter system. Hot surface igniters do weaken and will eventually generate less heat than they normally could. When this happens they can still allow marginally correct current to flow to the oven gas valve for it to open but not get quite hot enough to ignite the gas burner immediately. When this happens, gas released into the oven can sometimes build up to the point where when finally ignited, the amount of gas lit can cause a small explosion inside the oven or cause an odor of gas with out the oven working. Yes, your glow bar igniter can glow orange-red and still be bad!! How a common gas valve works - click here.

Whirlpool Direct Spark Ignition (DSI) - Whirlpoo

This was in my last answer .did you get this Let me knowl