Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a maytag washer model mav 7600 aww. I have checked the

I have a maytag washer model mav 7600 aww. I have checked the motor according to
the online instructions and it is checking good. However, when I try and use the
washer the motor heats up and the washer will not operate. Is it possible my transmission has gone out causing the motor heat up and the washer not operate or are there other reasons?
Submitted: 7 years ago via PartStore.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
Does this happen during the spin? or agitate of the unit?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The washer will not start washing at all except to fill the water.
It will not spin wash or rinse. The motor will heat up and get hot but will not start.
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
Can you turn the bottom pulley by hand easily? The one connected to the transmission?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't get to the bottom pulley. However when I tried to reach it I got an oily substance on my hand.
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
If you tilt the machine back the pulley is accessible from underneath.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will have to empty the washer first and this could take some time. If the pulley will not turn easily what does this indicate?
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
well we want to see if the problem is a bad water pump, bad transmission, or a bad motor. the large pulley under there should turn very easy one direction and hard the other,,, then check to see if the drain pump pulley turn easy, if not replace that, if it is easy turning then turn on the machine on spin without the belt on and see if the motor spins, if it does not then replace the motor...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last nigh the pump worked fine. I will check however also I will check the transmission pulley and see if it turns easily. thanks for the help.
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

Your welcome

Chas