Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore self-cleaning electric range model #665.95775891,

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore self-cleaning electric range model #665.95775891, serial #RK0314949. After we used the self-cleaning function the broiler element no longer works & it takes a long time for the oven to pre-heat. Any suggestions on the problem cause & repair?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
more than likely you have a burned out broil element in this, Part 722443check for burns or breaks in the element, let me know thanks ,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are no burns or breaks visible.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry just got back from work. ok no burns, do you have a volt meter? also is this a wall oven? if it is you need to take it out to check for burnt wire going to the element, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, Sorry I don't have a volt meter & it is a free standing range.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok thats good being a free standing, unplug the oven and pull it out and remove the back panel you will see the wires going to the broil element near the top check the wires and see if one has burned off. this happens allot. let me know, in the meantime i'll check some other things for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

I pulled the oven out & took off the back panel. The only wire I see with any burned marks (insulation around wire only) is the one that goes to the heat sensor, I think. All the others look to be in good shape. If I'm looking at this correctly the broiler wires are attached with a female connector. They are not very big wires but are in good shape.

Thanks, Stan

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes thats the wires, sorry we had internet problems for the last two days here in Tn. real bad storms went through here for the last week and the internet has been down . well this sounds more and more like the erc is bad. without a meter its very hard to say for sure, you would need to check for voltage to the element to be sure. I believe you have a bad relay on the erc (electronic range control) if the erc is bad its expensive. around $220.00 Part 722365to be safe and not buy the wrong part I would at this point call a tech in to check it.hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan, Thanks for your help. My wife's parents live in Crossville. Are you anywhere close?

Thanks again,

Stan

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Crossville is a little ways away maybe two hours I go through there once in awhile when I'm going to Nashville, which isnt that often, were do you guys hail from? by the way I hope I helped you some, I just would hate to see you buy an expensive part and it doesnt fix it, well at any rate well wishes and thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

We live in Milwaukee but are from New Mexico. A little out of our element here but it's nice in the summer. We are looking into buying a new range. I can't see spending that much & finding out we have more problems also. Thanks for your help. Stan

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome, wish I had better news for you, well wishes, Bryan