Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The light to my fridge is on, but the cooling system display

Customer Question

The light to my fridge is on, but the cooling system display panel is not lit up and the cooling system is not working, our food has started to thaw. I pressed the "colder" button like the owners manuel suggested, and I unplugged and replugged. Id love to fix this on my own without paying a tech to come out. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me make and model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a GE Profile Side by Side.
Model # XXXXX SS
Serial # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok you are going to need to replace the mother board in this. these go all the time so G.E had to re disign them and you are going to have to replace yours. this is the mother board and its something you can do yourself , Main Control Board - Click Image to Closethe cheapest price i could find is @ click the blue link. part # XXXXX this has been designed to fit your refrigerator and fix this problem. its located if you pull the refrigerator away from the wall its in the back right side behind a cover, just take the screws out and you will see it, this just plugs in, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how confident are you that this is really the solution to the problem? Is it somthing that just "plugs' in?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I'm 95% sure of this, we do allot of them. if the light inside the refrigerator comes on when you open the door you have power, its the board. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any type of mother board that is cheaper that would work?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
unfortunatly no. this is the only one, as a matter of fact thats why they re disigned them, sorry. well wishes and thanks, XXXXX XXXXX can try ebay sometimes you can find one on there but it has to be the exact part # XXXXX watch out for bad ones.