Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Why is the top section of my GE side by side refrigerator/freezer

Why is the top section of my GE side by side refrigerator/freezer warm and the bottom cold?
can you get me model #? also is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section and is the fan running in the freezer? let me know , thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The model # XXXXX XXXXX WW and yes there is frost on the back panel inside the freezer section and the fan is running.
ok , more than likely you need to replace the defrost heater in this , part # XXXXX on this diagram, Defrost heater - Click Image to Closeyou need to remove the food from the freezer and remove the back panel in the freezer section and take a haire dryer and defrost all the ice thats on the coils until there completely clear of frost. , then on the bottom belowe the coils you need to replace the defrost heater with the new re disigned heater which is a dual heater (they dont sell the single anymore) you can get this heater here, http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4 in the meantime after you defrost it it will run correctly until you get the new heater, dont forget to put the back panel on when your done defrosting this. thanks, Bryan