Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my kenmore fridge is only about 4 years old and is making a

my kenmore fridge is only about 4 years old and is making a buzzing noise every few minutes, but seems to be cooling just fine. model #s96.6s939400
Where is the buzzing noise comming from and how long has this noise been going on for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
first there is a click and then the buzzing starts for a few seconds and shuts off. But this keeps happening at least once every 3-5 minutes all day long. I just realized that the bottom faceplate under the fridge actually comes off. There was so much dust on the coils underneath and for now, until my husband can come home and turn on his compressor to really blow the dust off, I did get alot off, but the buzzing is still going on.
ok well your unit is about to stop cooling. This sound means that the compressor overload is kicking in and shutting off power to the compressor when the compressor is trying to start. The best thing to do is transfer all your food to another freezer/refrigerator if you have one and unplug the unit so that it can cool down. Clean out all the dust, and then in 3 or 4 hours try again by plugging it back in. If it doesn't go away by cooling down then you are going to need a new compressor unfortunately.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, but how can you tell if it is just the compressor overload switch that is bad? instead of the whole compressor being bad?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

you can't really, but there is one thing you can do. Pull the unit out and unplug it. take off the back access panel at the bottom. Attched to the side of the compressor is a little plastic box with wires going into it. That is the overload relay switch. Pull it off and shake it. If it sounds like broken glass or sand or whatever, then it's bad. Otherwise it can be either that switch or the compressor.