Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have a kitchen aid trash compactor. The ram is stuck down

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aid trash compactor. The ram is stuck down due to the screw getting the trash bag wrapped around it and the door won't open for me to be able to remove the trash bag from the screw. How can I access the screw mechanism since I can't enter thru the door panel?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.

Here is thje most concise site to explain how how fix it You will need to remove it from under the counter!

http://www.fixitclub.com/Small_Appliances/Trash_Compactor.shtml?page=1

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The problem is that there are no screws to remove to grant me access to the inside of the compactor. All of the connections are welded rivets rather than screws so the only access is thru the front panel which is locked due to the ram being down still.
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
I have never seen that is the back removable?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is only removable to get to the motor and to the chain drive. The trash bag has wrapped around the screw drive and is hung under the white part that the screw goes thru. I can see the problem but cannot access the internal part of the compactor. It seems like a bad design in my opinion. There should be an access panel of some sort.
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
since I have NEVER seen a n on removable top on a compactor, I will opt out on this and let other tech's have go at it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I should specify that the top is removable but when I take off the top, the ram is in the way of my ability to access the screw drive on the side. Its quite a mess and before I pay for a repair person to come out, I wanted to see if I could fix it or if it is even fixable as I would rather spend the money on a new compactor that doesn't have this problem. Thanks for your effort :)
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
are you saying the ram is cocked?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by cocked. My husband pushed the "compact" button which engaged the ram. While the ram was going down, the trash bag became wrapped around the screw and the ram jammed while still in the trash can. Therefore, I cannot open the front cabinet as the ram is down inside and I cannot access the screw to remove the entangled trash bag to release the ram to come back up.

Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
if you look just under the control panel there is a couple holes and a screw in each ,, remove those and take the panel off and remove the two screws in the top of the top panel and lift and remove and then you can get to the inside to remove the power nuts at top and raise the bucket and open the door and clear the plastic from the rams
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Still no. I had already removed the control panel but the bucket is riveted together not screwed so theres nothing more to remove and its not budging. I've scheduled an appointment with an appliance repair person for tomorrow. Hopefully he'll be able to fix it otherwise, I'll be buying a new compactor -- one that has an access panel :(

Thanks for trying. If he is able to repair it, I'll post back to let you know how it was able to be repaired so you can help other customers in the future.

ok ,, thank you and good luck