Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

I have a GE ice maker, model CAN 19. It has stopped making

Customer Question

I have a GE ice maker, model CAN 19. It has stopped making cubes. The green light is flashing. The owners manual says it means there is a cube stuck. I didn't see or feel anything like that. I have tried cycling it, but that doesn't help. From what I read online, it has to be either the ice maker itself or the inlet valve. I tried adding some water to the ice maker, but it still wouldn't put out any cubes. I have removed it from the refrigerator and noticed that there is a lot of ice buildup in the compartment where the cubes are made. I suspect that may be due to my adding water. But I plan on letting everything melt and then reinstall it and see what happens. Is there a way to test the inlet valve? I know water is getting to it, but not sure how to check and see if water is coming out. I suspect there is. A thing I read online says that 99 times out of 100 the valve is good, and the unit itself if bad. If that is the case, I do not want to get the same unit. Can you recommend one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

If you want to test a water valve, I may have to ask you to make a power cable and put two spade clips on each wire and you can use this to hotwire the solenoid valve.

Make sure the valve is rated 110 volts and hook up the power cable. Now plug the cable directly to the wall outlet, watch if water would shoot out of the ice maker tray.

Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

I'm not sure I have the equipment to do that. And I don't think I want to use a screwdriver to short out the terminals. Any other suggestions? Is it true that 99% of the time it's the unit that goes bad and not the valve? I'm not that technical to be able to make a cable like you want. Will thawing things out and reconnecting it help? Or is it a waste of time? If you think it's the unit, could you recommend some other ice maker? This one didn't even last 3 years. I'm very disappointed in this product.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
I do not know about that statistics but I've seen units with a bad water valve and not the ice maker.

If ever you want to buy a new ice maker, make sure the electrical sockets are the same and if you can still find those mechanical motors and controller, I would still prefer them rather than these new electronic ice makers. And if you can chose the biggest( 8 cuber) so that it would make more ice rather than the 6 cuber.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

I understand where you're coming from. I am just trying to not have to pay someone $75 to come out and tell me it's the unit. That's why I figured $14 for your advice would be cheaper. But like I suspected, without testing everything, I'm kinda stuck. I can always buy a unit and try it. If it doesn't work I could always return it I guess. So thanks for what you did. I will click on accept. If you have any other advice on this matter, you can send me an email atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. I have to leave for an appointment now.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for accepting and sorry but we can not communicate through e-mail that is why your e-mail addy is being crossed out.

Thank you and God bless.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

Off the record. We have a GE Model GTS22JCPBRCC refrigerator. When we moved in the "bar" type maker didn't work. GE came out and "upgraded" me to the CAN 19. It didn't even last 3 years. That tells me that the GE ice makers aren't very good. Can you recommend a model that will last? If I'm going to spend money on an ice maker I want to make sure it will be one that lasts. So far this refrigerator has been a nightmare. It make a high pitch whine when it turns on and I find out that is the way it was designed. I wish I had the money to get a different brand. And I understand about the email addy. One could circumvent the system, so to speak. So sorry I brought that up.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
It is just fine. No problem.

I have been looking for the choices of ice maker and just can't remember the site where you can look at the different ice maker they offer. I know the ones from whirlpool do last a long time. But I am not sure if the electrical socket would fit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

One last question then I'll let you go. Is it safe to say that my problem is either the inlet valve or the ice maker? It can't be anything else can it? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

My apologies. I lied. I do have one more question. But I promise this will be the last. To check the valve, I have the old ice maker out. After everything is empty and I put it back in, I assume it should fill with water. If I reinstall it and hear the water running for 5 seconds after I turn it on - wouldn't that mean the valve works? i.e. If I reinstall it and turn it on and I don't hear any water, I would also expect that to mean the valve is defective. Am I correct?
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
You are correct. But watch the fork that pick up the ice. After the fork has went down the tray to scoop the ice and as it goes up and a few seconds before it stop to its rest position, that would be when the water should flow. The last 5 seconds before the fork would rest.
About 2 o clock if you face the ice maker from the control box.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I'm getting close - lol. As I look at the ice maker from the front, the fork is at about 4:00. It was submerged in the ice when I took it out. Should it correct itself after I plug it in? Or should I try to "force" it around to about 2:00? Thanks. And p.s. I'm getting my $14 worth - lol. I appreciate your efforts. I found a GE model IM 6 online that says it will fit all GE top freezers. I'm thinking about buying it, because from the picture it appears you get both the ice maker and the water valve. That should solve my problem.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
It should not be submerge in ice if you will find it. I think you may really have a bad ice maker if you will find that unless a power failure has occured and the fork would be trapped in the water as the water froze up again.

thaw the ice maker, put it back together and watch how it will go.

I am sorry but I am already late in my appointment. I have to go and will answer your question as soon as I log back in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Francis. How do I get the front cover off to check the gears? I would like to rotate the fork to about 2:00 but I can't budge it. I know the gears are under the front cover. I can remove the bottom tab, but I can't seem to move the top tab. It looks like I should just have to put a screwdriver in it and pull up to disengage it, but I don't want to break the plastic. Or do you think if it's ok it will reposition itself if I just reinstall it? Thanks. Please just get back to me when you can. I'll leave my computer on. I, too, have an appointment in a little bit. Good luck.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
hello,

Sorry for the delay in response, If you have melted all the ice and there is no obstruction on the fork, it should turn by itself to its rest position, put some water and make some ice. Even if it start on a different position. Please do not forget to turn it on.

If it do not do that, then replace the ice maker.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

I did as you said. I reinstalled it and turned it on. I didn't put any water in, but it did make ice. However, it seems to have stopped again. I think the gears may be shot. If you would tell me how to get the cover off I will not bother you again. There is a tab on the bottom of the unit that I can get off, but there is something at the top that looks like a tab that you insert a screwdriver and pull up to release it. But it won't budge and I don't want to crack it or anything. Thanks.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
If there is a small piece of plastic that looks like a cap, pry it off. It is a locking pin. If you remove that, the rectangular cover could be pry open.

I can't find any manual or exploded diagram of the ice maker to help us further. If you can take pictures and send it here then maybe I can see it and help you further.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

I apologize for bothering you. I think I'm just going to go out and buy another ice maker. I took it out again yesterday and thawed it out. I hooked it back up and restarted it. I read somewhere that to recycly it I needed to do the full ice paddle (I don't know the technical term) 3 times to redo the cycle. Well, my wife told me she heard water run into the ice maker, but this morning when I got up I could feel the ice in the maker, but no ice was ejected. So I think the unit is just flat out shot. I read where there is a model wr30x10093, which GE said was the latest model and is not electronic, but is mechanical. Hopefully it will last more than 2 years. Thanks.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Good luck on your ice maker. I hope too that it would last more than 3 years.

I would just suggest that you keep your old one if you have space in the house since you could be a handy man so you could have spare to use in case you would need. They could be interchangeable. Who knows.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Francis,

I hit the accept button yesterday. Does that mean you'll receive your money? Or do I need to do anything else? I just looked at my Visa and I didn't see your charge. Let me know if I need to do anything. Thanks.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
This would be your second payment if you hit accept again. You have paid me in our early postings.

It is up to you if you want to pay me again, you have to hit accept again. I only got a first payment last june 8.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.