Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I tried to replace the Pure Source 2 ice/water filter on my

I tried to replace the Pure Source 2 ice/water filter on my frigadaire refrigerator only to have it shoot across the room when I tried to get water from the door. The refrigerator is about 3 years old and this is the first time I have replaced the filter. You can feel it "lock" into place and if I hold it with my hand keeping it in the lock position, water comes out just as it's suppose to. I took the replacement one back to the store and got a second one per the salesman's request, but the second one does the same thing. If I put the old one in, the unit works fine. I even tried to slow the water source from the wall. No one seems to know why the new one won't stay locked into place.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
look at the top of the filter of the old one and the new one and are they the same?

may i have the model number please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The old on is 85A28BO4-13. The new one is 89L16A05-51. The look exactly the same and the guy at Lowes stated it was the correct one

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm going to church so I will not be here for a few hours. Thank you for your assistance.
sorry i had to leave ,,, when you get back please send me the complete model number of the fridge / thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
P/N XXXXXXXXX
on the inside upper right hand wall is a sticker with the model and serial number on it ,,, please send the model number and leave a space between the third and forth number please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

GHSC239 TDS3

look at #137 in this pictures and tell me if this is the filter please

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The picture on the top right is it.
when you push the filter in does it feel like it wants to spring back out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it locks into place
when it locks in then what does it do
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As soon as I press the water despenser in the door, it literally shoots out across the room. Both plastic covers that were on the unit when I got it have been removed too. Again, the old one works fine. It just needs to be replaced. I thought the new one would have LESS pressure on in than the old one full of sediment. If you would like to call me, you can @ XXX-XXX-XXXX or if you would like for me to call you, I would be happy to. John
sorry but we do not have phone access ,,, put the filter in and puash all the way and then make a fisk and hit it with the side of your hand and then hold it in while someone gets water to clear the air out of the filter and try it again and let me know what happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That didn't work (I had already tried it). I held it in place to get all the air out of it the first time. The new filter is full of water. I even ran the water through for about a min. holding the new filter in place. When I stopped running water through it,the filter would just pop out when I let go with my hand.
the old one holds in place?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes, with no problem.

did the boxes they came in have a part number with a R at the end of it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, the box just states at he bottom, use only guniune frigidaire replacement filters. THIS IS THE CORRECT FILTER!. It looks just like the old one, it just won't stay in place.

eather the filters they are selling is coming from a bad batch which the prongs are made wrong or to short or you will have to replace the filter housing ,,, the part number for the housing isNNN-NN-NNNN,,, #139 in the picture i sent ,,, i have seen the housing to be bad and the old filter fits because the filter has swollen
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is why I went bac and got a different one from Lowes. Are you telling me I need to have someone come out and look at the problem?
no i'm saying to swap out the filter housing ,,, it cost $98.07 but you can do it yourself if you take it slow and easy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, where do I get one?
you can get one from sears and here is a link to it

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/p artsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=240396002&productGroupId=0046&supplierId=253&brandId=1428&documentId=R0506043&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber=GHSC239TDS3&keyId=0139&pageId=00005&productTypeId=0165000&searchModelNumber=GHSC239TDS3&subCompDesc=Controls&brandDesc=FRIGIDAIRE&modelDesc=REFRIGERATOR&backToLink=Return%20to%20part%20list

here is one for less than sears

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-240396002-%3d%3di1056733&PartID=1056733
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thanks.
you are most welcome