John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have an 2 year old Whirlpool electric dryer - Model WED 5820

Customer Question

I have an 2 year old Whirlpool electric dryer - Model WED 5820 SWO - it has power but when I set a drying cycle and press the start button and hear a click but nothing happens.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
HI thanks for your question,Open the door and look at the door switch,You should see a little metal tab sticking down from the top at the door opening,Click that back and forth ,does it click
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry for my delay - thanks for getting back to me - yes, the metal tab does click and the light goes on / off when i move it
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Look in the console to see if the start switch is this relay ,And if the click is coming from the relay,You will need a meter to check this part ,I don't have the wiring diagram for that model You should have one in the console,See if that relay is in the circuit to start it up

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, i removed the console and the click is coming from the start button relay - i don't have a meter to check it right now though - what other part could be the problem in your opinion? I could always go get a new relay and see if that works...
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Thats what I think is wrong ,But without the meter to make sure,If your going to go get one,Take the old one with you ,They can test it there
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how does it remove?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Unlock the white tab and twist it will come off
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did so - the contacts sure are hot - i'll see where i can find another one here locally (Nashville) and try this option and will get back to you
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Talk later

Thanks