william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

Simple ( ) door gasket problem--Bosch dryer Hello. I have

Customer Question

Simple (?) door gasket problem--Bosch dryer

Hello. I have a Bosch Axxis Condensation front load dryer, model number WTL5410. The front door gasket rubber seal (part number 096422) keeps coming loose, curling, shrinking. It won't stay in place. ??

I've already tried installing a new gasket. It has a perpindicular tab that's supposed to slip into the recessed slot. How can I install (another) gasket and keep it from coming loose? I tried using a hairdryer to smooth it down when I installed before. Any suggestions? ??

Is there supposed to be a strap that I don't have to keep the gasket in place? Or am I just not installing it correctly with the hair drier? THANK YOU!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

you can run a small bead of silicone and then put the gasket on but you will have to let it dry for 24 hrs befor useing it

If this answers your question,click accept as this is how we get paid for our knowledge.Need more info ask.bonuses appreciated. note;As I am not there this is based on your observations and information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for answering.

What does it mean to "run a small bead of silicone"? Where do I run it? How do I run it? Exactly what type of silicone do I buy and use?

More important---why isn't the dryer gasket staying place like it is supposed to? I shouldn't have to use silicone, should I? I think the gasket is supposed to stay in place without silicone. Am I wrong?

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

you are right but if your doing everything that it says to do then in might need a little more help but try this first put it in the slot and work it with the dryer start at one end and work your way around slowly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
William,

You say that if I'm "doing everything it says to do"----I can't find anything that tells me how to do this. Bosch won't help. Their user's manual doesn't give instructions for this. I have a parts schematic of the machine, but it doesn't give instructions for replacing the front door gasket. So, I'm not doing everything IT says to do, because there's no IT. Can you tell me where to find instructions for this? Is there a technician's guide at the library?

You say "put it in the slot"----put what in the slot? The gasket? The silicone? The gasket with the silicone on it? If so, how much silicone and where?

I already tried putting the gasket in the slot and working it around slowly with only the hair dryer (no silicone). It didn't work.

Is it common for technicians to use silicone on gaskets when they won't stay in place?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

here is a diagram for you

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=WTL5410UC10&productCategoryId=0151200&brandId=1794&modelName=DRYER&diagramPageId=00003&componentDescription=DOOR%20ASSY&documentId=50032870&backToLink=R eturn%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
William,

Thanks for the diagram, but I told you in earlier emails that I already have the schematic. I have this diagram.

You did not answer any of the questions in my last reply to you.