Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

My, -2yr., Whirlpool-ED5JHEXTB00,sideXside, quit cooling. Repairable

I id the Start Device (opened it up) with a scorched, not melted, area, @contact points of pos and neg terminals to a disc,(about one half inch in dia.)which was inbetween the neg and pos teriminals. I rotated the disc 90degrees and reassembled everything. The unit ran and cooled for a day or two then stopped cooling as before with new scorched areas on the disc! No other apparent damage. This is the first breakdown with this unit. The overload device looks to be set within this Start Device and connected by the neg terminal side but was unaffected by the malfunction.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
replace the start device and if the compressor quits again then you have a bad compressor and with the fridge being only 2 years old it will be covered under the 5 year sealed system warranty so call and set up service with whirlpool service or sears service / thanks