John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

got a Kenmore electric dryer Model no. 110.66512694. Runs for

Customer Question

got a Kenmore electric dryer Model no. 110.66512694. Runs for about 10 min. then stops.
Cleaned out all lint traps and completely cleaned the vent hose all the way to the outside.
If I run it on just "air dry"... runs just fine. So I assume that I can rule out the motor as it runs quiet and fine. Doesn't run hard or slow. If I run it on timed heat, without wet clothes, runs for about 20 min... then shuts down. IF i take the vent tube off the back..runs just fine.
Put wet clothes in, run on timer, permanent press, no vent hose attached...runs 10 min. then stops...
Sounds like either the thermal protector or're thoughts?

Edwardsburg, MI
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question,Theres no thermostat in the dryer to turn off the motor,Except the one that is embedded in the motor windings of the motor,That would be the Motor thermal protector,And cant be replaced,You need a new motor
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So what does the "thermal cut off switch do"? I was guessing that for some reason either this switch or the thermostat... that one can buy from Sears, isn't turning the heater unit off when it gets to temp. Wouldn't the thermal cut off switch just stop everything?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Take a look at this website... from Sears. 151200&brandId=0582&modelName=ELECTRIC-DRYER&diagramPageId=00003&componentDescription=BULKHEAD&documentId=10057040&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list

Looks like one can replace the thermostat on the motor, or is this an additional one other than the embedded one?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The thermal cut off is a non resetable ,the one on the heater housing will stop the heat

Not the motor,The thermal fuse will cut the motor as well If it fails ,It wont reset ,It fails It fails for good,Thats why I say its the motor,Did you take the drum out and clean the motor as well as the venting,It could be the problem

Too much lint on the motor

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But if it was the motor over heating, wouldn't it over heat when I ran it on "Air dry" only.
Air dry would'n't activate the heating element...just blow air, but the motor runs fine for 30 min. easily just blowing air. But I haven't looked at the motor to see if its clogged with lint.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Do that and we can eliminate a possible cause