Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

my subzero frig isnt cold in the refrig part of it.. the freezer

my subzero frig isn't cold in the refrig part of it.. the freezer is working fine. the frig is only 56 degrees and it won't go any colder.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

Can we get the model number please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model 650 top and bottom it is about 10 years old.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Can you see accumulation of frost in the back wall inside the freezer area?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no frost in the freezer area at all.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Ok..What about air circulation in the fridge section/ Do you have air coming out of the vents in the fridge section? Press a door switch in the fridge if you have one. Sometimes, fan would stop when you open the door.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes.. the fridge seems to be continually running... we have air circulating
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
And how do you feel the air? is it cold or room temperature?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is fairly close to room temperature
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

The problem would be the control of air to the fridge. Sometimes they use air damper which could have stuck close that is why the air from the freezer is not coming to the fridge.

Where is your freezer? Is it on the top or bottom?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is on the bottom..
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

So the cold air would be coming from the bottom. Remove the vent assembly in the fridge sectionand find out what is blocking the air from the freezer towards the fridge. It could be a block of ice or a flap that is close.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the vent assembly?
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
It should be at the rear part of the fridge section. Where the air comes out. It is a distributor of air from the bottom. That whole assembly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you mean on the inside of the fridge or outside of the fridge? if it is the outside it is on the top of the fridge and I can figure out how to get to it.. how well do you know the 650s model? I am not sure how to get the vent off of the front so I can get to all the mechanical above?
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
It should be inside the fridge. Where you tested the air that is circulating in the fridge section.

No need to check the top of the fridge. That is the condenser coil and compressor. There is a fan there too but that is not the one I am referring to.

We are tracing the air from the freezer to the fridge. It will be circulated by the fan from the freezer to the fridge section via the air vents.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK now that is making sense.. I can't find any vent inside the fridge that i have access to.... the fan that is blowing the semi cold air is in upper back wall but I don't know how to get to it.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Ok. That would be the circulating fan of the fridge. Do you see any screws holding the fan motor casing?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we are talking about the same fan right.. yes there are screws holdign a cover over it.. I am guess you want me to take those off correct?
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

yes. The fan is inside the fridge section. Under the ceiling.

Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .