Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

My refrigerator is running, but it is not cold and it stopped

My refrigerator is running, but it is not cold and it stopped making ice. The vents are not blocked and the coils are not too dirty. The air coming from the vents is weak and not very cold. I had the temperature control replaced a few months ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
may i have the model number please and inside the freeze on the back wall do you see any frost built up
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think this is the model number. It is a Kenmore model(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Yes! I didn't notice it before, but when I took the stuff out, there's lots of frost on the back wall of the freezer, 1/2 in deep or so. After I had the temp control changed, I've had problems with it being too cold and I have to turn the control way down (2) to keep the milk and veggies from freezing. Then 2 days ago it started getting warmer, making less ice until this morning it doesn't seem to be cooling much at all! Do you think it frozen up inside?
hold in on the light switch and is the fan inside the freezer blowing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure how to check...
I held in the switch and something is definitely running (with or without the switch pressed, doesn't seem to make a difference) there are vents up high where the ice maker is, and a vent that is lower. There is air coming out of both, but not strongly.
we have a defrost problem and now we will find out which part is bad ,,,, inside the fridge in the control panel on the bottom is a hole and the defrost timer sets inside ,,, with a screw driver i want you to turn it till the fridge stops running and get back to me ,,, here is a picture to help ,,, #6 is the timer and you can see where its at on the bottom of the panel
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
On my fridge, it wasn't a hole. It's a knob. I turned it and it went off. What's next?
let it stay off for 20 minutes and then open the freezer door and tell me if yo hear a sizzling or like water dripping on a hot plate
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Larry,
I went down to do laundry, and when I came back, the fridge had turned back on. So, I turned down the temp until it went off again. Should I wait another 20 min?
no ,,, if it came back on then the defrost timer is working and you will need to replace the defrost heater and defrost themostat behind the panel on the coil in the freezer ,,, here is a link to the parts and it will also show for the timer but you dont need it / thanks Larry

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/searchByPartDescAction!searchByPartDescription.pd?brandId=0582&productCategoryId=0165000&modelNumber=1069550780&backToLink=Return+to+Sub+Components+list&partDescription=defrost
Experience: Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service