Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer in the UK

My Bosch DW SHU43C has about 1/2 in of water at the bottom

Customer Question

My Bosch DW SHU43C has about 1/2 in of water at the bottom after wash completion. I have checked and cleaned all the filtres. How to fix it? Is it safe to start another wash without flooding the house?
Thanks, Customer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

If you start a new wash, the first thing the dishwasher will do is run the drain pump.

Listen for the drain pump running and after a period, open the door to see if the water has gone.

If you don't hear the drain pump or the water is still there, switch off.

You'll need to check the drain hose isn't blocked and you'll need to bail the water out manually to check the drain pump.

Take the filters out, mop out all the water and you'll see a small cover held by a single screw, take this out and you'll have access to the drain pump. Remove any debris, refit the cover and try again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
"..and you'll need to bail the water out manually to check the drain pump.

Take the filters out, mop out all the water and you'll see a small cover held by a single screw, take this out and you'll have access to the drain pump. Remove any debris, refit the cover and try again...." - I have done it earlier

How do I check the drain hose?

I did turn the DW on to start draining, but I am not sure whether humming sound is the pump working. Anyway, i did not catch the "dry" moment it is on "rinse" now...

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

The drain hose will either be under the sink attached to the drainage system or it will be behind the appliance.

If you only heard a humming noise from the pump I would suggest cancelling the programme and trying again.

If it empties ok at the start of a programme then it's working ok.

Just listen to the pump, open the door as soon as you hear the water start to come in.

If there's no water visible then the pump is working ok.

If it hasn't emptied then the pump is either jammed or faulty.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. I am still struggling:

I put it on "rinse & hold" and I do hear some water going through the sink but still about 1/2 in at the end of thecycle.

I put it on "heavy/scrab" and it seem like more water going through the sink in the beginning of the cycle (before sprinklers come on)

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Have you checked to see if it drains the water at the start of a cycle?

If not, check that first.

Have you checked the hose where it connects to your drainage system, garbage disposal or wherever it connects to?

If not, check that next.

The only reason for water remaining behind is it fails to drain in the alloted time.

If it drains fully before taking on fresh water then there is a restriction somewhere between the pump and the drain.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

" ...If it drains fully before taking ....

You mean if it Does NOTt drain fully?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

No, it failed to drain at the end of the programme.

If it then drains the remainder at the start it would indicate that there is a restriction that is making the machine drain too slowly so it times out and just ends the programme.

If you could now check this and check the drain hose we could move further on with the repair.

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer in the UK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I put it on "regular" and hoping for a miracle.

I still did not disconnect the drain hose, but do not have access to the part of it that is attached to the DW. On the other end it is attached to the sink/disposal. The hose has a good diameter - larger than the pump intake in the DW.

Thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, I don't quite understand your last post.

Have you checked the draining and have you checked for a blockage where it attaches to the disposal?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, right now the DW is at the end of "regular wash". Drainage hose is very warm (all length of it) - I assume the water is going through the hose to the sink.

I will check for the blockage after the "miracle" wash is finished.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, got you now.

We'll see if manages to drain all of the water.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no miracle...

Finished the wash - again, about 1/2 in water left. Disconnected the hose from the sink - all clean. I do not have access to the hose/DW connection, but it is hard to imagine restriction there due to the hose diameter - it is made from corrigated plastic, about 1.5 inch diameter.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

The pump runs but is unable to evacuate all the water in the alloted time.

If you now start a new programme, the pump will run first and evacuate the water.

I need to know if it can get it all away.

If it does then it would indicate the restriction is in the metering tank or outlet hose.

Aim the drain hose into a bucket to see if you are getting full flow or a reduced flow of water from the drain hose.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for staying with me.

Started new programme with the hose into the bucket. Looks like most of the water has been evacuated - although water is still just above the top of the flat filter/trap.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, as it's left water above the filter it's not getting it out quick enough.

We've ruled out the drain connection as the point of restriction.

We've proved by aiming it into a bucket that it cannot get rid of the water fast enough to empty the machine in the alloted time.

This leaves us with the hose from the pump to the metering tank, the metering tank and the hose from the metering tank to the drain connection.

You'll now need to take the appliance out and take the panels off so you can see the metering tank (left side when viewed from the front).

Check the state of the metering tank, if it's blocked you'll need to strip it out and try to clean it out by backflushing with a garden hose or similar.

disconnect the hoses from the pump and to the drain, you'll have to improvise here to join them together.

Once joined, try filling and draining the dishwasher. If it drains ok it would suggest a restriction in the metering tank.

Sorry if it's getting a bit heavy on the work and testing but it's the only way to narrow it down. I've had these faults before and they can be a real pain to nail down.

When testing make sure the drain hose is as high as the top of the dishwasher. This will simulate the height the dishwasher has to pump normally.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

could i try to backflash the meter without taking DW apart?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Unfortunately you can't, you would flood the base and create a whole new series of problems.

The plastic tank would have to come out of the appliance.

You also need to confirm that it's blocked, if it isn't and all the hoses are clear you are only left with the pump and the sump housing as the source of the problem.

As I've mentioned the pump and sump housing. When you refitted the pump housing in the sump it did locate properly didn't it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks,

I guess it is too heavy for me now - will have to call Bosch repair man.

Thanks Again

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Check the pump inside the sump again, take the cover off and reseat it.

It's a last gasp attempt but it may work.

Good luck with the repair.

Thanks