Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

I have a side by side Samsung refrigerator w/computer and

Customer Question

I have a side by side Samsung refrigerator w/computer and every year the freezer goes out and the fridge is intermitant.   I am being driven crazy by the regularity of service calls and I never seem to have a refrigerator that is dependable.   Any suggestions, besides throwing it out? Its only about three years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
Hello, first of all I am sorry it is a Samsung. May I please have the model number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is RS2577SW
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
So far what has been done on these service calls?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The circuit board has been replaced twice and some kind of relay was replaced
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
Has anyone ever replaced the capacitor that goes with the circuit board?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. What is a capacitor?
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.

It is the capacitor that is connected right next to the main circuit board behind the fridge. They are housed in the same box.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right now I am waiting for the circuit board that has been on order for 3 weeks. When they come back to install it is there a way to test the capacitor to see that it is working properly. I am so afraid they will replace the circuit board , the fridge will work for a time. as before and then it will fail again. I hate having an intermitant fridge. If i can't continue with this unit what manufacturer would you suggest I buy?.....no computers please!
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
Yes, any good tech should be able to test the capacitor. Your fridge calls for a 12 microfarad capacitor. It is written on the capacitor. Also, depending on how much you want to spend, a good fairly priced fridge is Whirlpool. An excellent fridge but a little pricey is Kitchenaid. Stay away from GE. They have problems with both a circuit board and a defrost heater.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
By the way, what is the fridge doing now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am still waiting for a part ( circuit board)