Summer, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  B.Tech in Electrical Engineering, M.Tech and Ph.D in Electrical Machines and Power Systems.

Westinghouse Gas Cooker 625 door will not close properly.

Our Westinghouse Gas Cooker 625 oven door will not close properly. The door comes up but leaves a three to four CM gap at the top. We live in a fairly isolated community without access to a repairman. Do you think I could repair this myself, if so, how would I go about doing it?

Is there an adjustment for the hinges?
Is there a repair site on the net that I can download to help?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Summer replied 7 years ago.

If your oven door has gotten bent or warped (maybe you rested something heavy on it) you need to remove the door, disassemble it, and straighten it. You can lift most oven doors off of the hinges by opening the door several inches to its first and lifting the entire door straight up.

If the hinges have become worn, damaged, or bent then you probably need to replace them. We recommend replacing both hinges at the same time to prevent uneven wear of the undamaged hinge.

Good Luck!