John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Hi I have a sub zero 650 refrigerator and the temp gauge says

Customer Question

Hi I have a sub zero 650 refrigerator and the temp gauge says 70 inside but it is set for 34. It is not working. There was an earlier problem and a loose wire that was repaired a few years ago. The freezer is at 0. Who is the service rep that is authorized and how do I reach them asap. I live in Los Altos, Ca(NNN) NNN-NNNN HELP!!!! Thanks JoAnn Connor
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi Joann Conner. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. If you give me

just a bit of time I will see if I can find an authorized service repairman for you.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
How old is the unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am not sure what to do. My sub zero is showing 70 degrees on the temp reading. I need to find a repair person who can fix it. ANy ideas It was installed in 2001 but not actually used or turned on until 2003.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

I read some of the reviews from your area the best for Sub Zero is Toms appliance.

(NNN) NNN-NNNN‎tomsappliance.com Check around if you decide to use someone else

some of the reviews I ve read were not good at all.

In the meantime look in the freezer side....look at the lower back wall...is there frost there?

Also hold the light switch button with the freezer door open,,,is the fan running?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have already put a call in to Tom's they fixed it before and they are good. You could recommend them to anyone who ever asks. But they have an answering machine and it can take a day to reach them.

I will check the lower back wall of the inside of the refrigerator since it is built in I can not see behind it.. Is that correct.? I do not hear the fan when the two switches are pressed in and the door is open.

JoAnn

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

Yup....they are.

Anyway inside the freezer....look at the lower portion of the back wall...Is there

frost on that wall....also the unit is not running?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, The freezer has no frost on the back, no buildup at all anywhere in the freezer. It is cold and is making ice. JoAnn
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok so the refrigerator portion is warm and the freezer is acceptable....have I got that part correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok,,you may need a fan motor.....in the freezer is where all the cold is.

It works like this. The fan in the freezer circulates the air over to the

refrigerator. There is a damper in the refrigerator that opens and closes

as needed. And there is a return in the lower part of the refrigerator that

allows the warmer air to come back to the fan to be cooled.

There are several things that can cause the fan to stop but usually its

a bad motor. I have seen icemakers overflow and the ice stop them.

Also door switches can be bad which allows the fan to come on. If

the door switch is bad this can happen, If you press the door switch

and the fan does nt come on in the freezer side and you see no ice

or frost buildup on the backwall of the freezer there is nt much you

can do.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

I know this is nt an acceptable answer and I do nt expect to be paid for it, if the

above posts are the case there is nothing I can do that will help... Im so sorry.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How could you possible fix a refrigerator over the internet. Now that would be an amazing service. I actually think you helped some so I am going to pay you. I did take your time and you were kind enough to respond. Where are you located? JoAnn
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
I am in Tennessee Joann...Soon to be in Upland. You know where that is???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im not your mother but you should be in bed asleep. Hope you laughed... I have to say if one more thing stops working in my million dollor house I will scream. Thanks, I'll let Tom's know in the morning your thoughts and see what he thinks. If you want I will email you when I get the final vertice for your informtation. One more thing. I have a frozen turkey 24 lbs in the freezer. If I put that into the refrigerator would that help keep it cold enough to hold the milk until tomorrow morning when I can get to the store for some ice. JoAnn
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

HAHAHAHAHA! Thats nice.

Well actually cold flows down. It probably won't generate enough

circulation to keep the food in your refrigerator safe. If you could stick that in a

cooler with the things you want to keep safe it will be ok for a day but no more.

I really would like to hear the outcome. If you cannot reach me here I can be reached

at http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page= contact us.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I pay you. This is my very first try at just answer. I will come back to see if I can reach you with the results or try your link. Thanks for your help. I appreciate the effort at the late hour. A fresh start tomorrow and a cleaned out refrigorator for sure. Thanks, JoAnn
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

You have to do 2 things.....next time you have a problem come back.

And Smile. Do that and I m paid.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Teamcold you are a very kind person and I appreciate your consideration. I will comeback and request you when the next disaster strikes and I will smile....and recommend you and I will let you know what happens. You have a very nice evening..and I am going to bed because I have to clean out the refrigerator in the morning. Goodnight and Thanks, JoAnn

An original verse for you.....with thanks..

Somehow Teamcold found me

In any event they charged no fee

So I will sleep till I wake up with glee

Now I am dreaming about Iced tea

Or maybe I just have to pee

Fixing my frige will not be free

But I am so busy as a bee

I will just wait and see

What will be will be

Goodnight Gracie!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Somehow Teamcold found me

In any event they charged no fee

Now I am dreaming about Iced tea

Or maybe I just have to pee

Fixing my frige will not be free

But I am so busy as a bee

I will just wait and see

What will be will be

For fun!

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

Wow....how nice....now I owe you....and am smiling...hahaha....very nice I

don t know what to say.

Thank you.