william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

My maytag window air conditioner unit in my apartment makes

Customer Question

My maytag window air conditioner unit in my apartment makes a lot of noisy rattling sounds. Is there a way I could tighten something to reduce the noise of the machine? I have taken a couple screws off the sides in an attempt to look inside the cover but that front cover won't budge. I don't want to pull the wrong way and break it, since I am renting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Can you determine if the noise is outside the window?

Is it a vibration that is making the window rattle or something else?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The window unit is installed in the wall, below the window. So, I think it is clear that I am hearing the noise inside. The two modes have different sounds. In Fan mode, the machine becomes quieter and the rattling decreases. In Cool mode, the noise often builds over time and it sounds something like a loose screw rattling in a can. I am mostly wondering if there are simple things I can check through the face of the machine to see if I can just tighten a screw, shim a gap, or replace a part simply. Any tips or common reasons for this kind of complaint would help. Thanks.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

you will need to take the face off then turn it on and see where the noise could be coming from

If this answers your question,click accept as this is how we get paid for our knowledge.Need more info ask.bonuses appreciated. note;As I am not there this is based on your observations and information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I took a small screw off the left side and another off the right side, but the face won't budge. I am trying not to break it, since it is plastic. Does the face usually snap on, slide off, or is there a hidden screw I am missing?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
whats the model number on this please? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
M6XC7F2B-A
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
it should just pop off if you have any dial controls them to will have to come off