Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

While waiting for stage 1 repair kit, I thought I could simulate

While waiting for stage 1 repair kit, I thought I could simulate a locked door, so I disconnected the wax motor and added a filler to depress and activate the two switches normally activated by the wax motor. The high speed spin worked for the first load, but did not after that. Now I added stage 1 repair kit and the wax motor works and engages both switches, but the high speed spin still does not work. I messed up something else by simulating a locked door. Will stage 2 repair kit fix that?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
I am assuming we are talking about neptune washer,,,Did you buy a new control board or have a rebuilt one installed on the unit for the stage one repair?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, Matag Neptune MAH3000AWA. I asked this question in a window on the web page where the stage 1 repair kit was listed (http://www.neptunewaxmotor.com/index.htm), so I didn't include more information initially. I did the simulation (activating the two switches normally acivated by the Wax Motor) while waiting for the stage 1 repair kit to arrive. My simulation only worked to spin one load. The next load didn't spin and I thought something else may have blown.

When I received the stage 1 kit, R11 resister, Q6 Triac and 12002535 Wax Motor, I replaced and soldered the R11 and Q6 onto the board, and replaced the Wax Motor. Then the Wax Motor worked fine, activated both switches and locked the door. But the washer still did not spin. The web site listed a stage 2 kit for additional repair, but I didn't know what it included or what it was supposed to do.

I looked at the diagram on the Sears web site and found a door lock spin enable switch. But I didn't look for the location of that or trace it's operation.

Thank you,

Jim Schlichter

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
These repair kits do not work very good, I have used them a few times...with very little sucess...As for the spin enable switch this this is the furtherest switch on the door lock,,,your problem is going to be in the door lock or the control board you fixed, the stage 2 is the motor controller and if it is agitating then it should be good...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Chas,

Today, I found the problem and fixed it. As I said in my question, once I soldered in the R11 and Q6, and replaced the wax motor, everything at the door lock functioned properly. Both switches engaged, one of which I found to be the enable switch. But today, after checking for grounds, I found that I forgot to reconnect the tub light, which I disconnected while the door was off. Ground wasn't getting through to the enable switch. Once I reconnected the tub light, the spin worked as normal. Having a diagram or schematic is a must. The video provided on the kit web site was very helpful too.

Thanks for the information about Stage 2 being the motor controller which I didn't know. So you are right, I did not need the Stage 2 kit because as you said 'if it is agitating then it should be good.' As for as the repair kits not working very well, a little luck and a not too damaged board helped the stage 1 kit work for me this time.

Please respond and I will press the Accept button.

Thank you,

Jim Schlichter

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

I am glad that it worked for you,,,,,good luck

ChasI

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech