Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

Frigidaire icemaker not ejecting ice. My side-mounted icemaker

Customer Question

Frigidaire icemaker not ejecting ice.

My side-mounted icemaker for my 2-year-old Frigidaire side-by-side model stopped ejecting icecubes after I placed the wire-signal-arm back to the ON position. It has been in the OFF position for several weeks due to my going on holiday.

The only way I can get the icemaker to eject ice is to toggle the signal-arm up an inch till I hear a "click" noise and place it back to the fully-on position. It will eject a set of icecubes but will not continue the cycle unless I toggle the signal-arm again.

I just replaced the water-filter today in the hopes it would resolve the problem but it did not.

Please advise.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 7 years ago.
Hello Eddie
This means that the timer motor in the ice maker is bad unfortunately the only way to fix this issue is to replace the ice maker.i would double check the arm if its all the way in the ice maker you will need to replace the ice maker assembly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the icemaker that easily broken simply by turning the icemaker off? The manual even states to turn it off for extended periods of non-use. Is it possible the timer is somehow frozen?

I shut off power to the referigerator and left the freezer-door open for three hours so anything frozen/clogged would cleared. It seems like it did not help either.

It has been working fine without any issues right up to the point I turned it off.
Is the arm all the way inside the ice maker?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
For what it's worth, I firmly toggled the arm up and down and firmly pushed the arm into the hole. It did not move inside at all which would kinda tell me it's not loose.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
the shut off spring inside the icemaker is broken and its cheaper to replace the icemaker than to rebuild it ,,, the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand here is a couple links to one / thanks

but you may still accept for appliance medic if you wish / thanks Larry
Yes you will need to replace the ice maker.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Larry - Sorry for my late reply.

While I appreciate your advice, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the assistance given. I already knew my icemaker was broken. That was a given. What I was hoping for was advice to actually trouble-shoot and possibly fix the unit since it is only two years old. I already realized the a new unit was available from the manufacturer but I figured if it was something that could be fixed in an hour of my time, I would prefer that route than the hassle of ordering a new unit and waiting for the delivery. It's nothing personal, but I did not necessarily need someone to tell me that "it's broken, replace with new one" after less than a 2-minute discussion. I could have done that.

I will keep the account open should future assistance be required. I really do like the concept of this website and will recommend it to other people!
you can order the spring that fits inside on the arm and replace it and it will work ,, its a little tickey and most people dont want to do it and thats why we said replace the icemaker ... the part number for the shut off spring is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it cost $5.74 online at and here is a breakdown of the icemaker and the spring is #2 in the picture / thanks Larry