Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE refrigerator/freezer 23.6 cu ft side by side.

I have a GE refrigerator/freezer 23.6 cu ft side by side. The light in the refrig went out. I changed the lightbulb and it still doesn't work. The button that the door pushs when it the door closes to turn the light off isn't stuck, so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
How old is this unit and do you have a model number? Does the freezer light still work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes the light in the freezer still works. The unit is 15-17 years old.

The model # XXXXX XXXXX WW

if the light in the freezer still works and switch seems to still function-- I would assume that your light recepticle might be bad. Many times when a unit gets older the metal prong inside the recepticle will no longer flex out far enough to touch the end of the bulb. You can either replace the recepticle or unplug the unit and pry the prong out a bit so that it's easier to touch the bulb.