Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

My old fan switch had 3 speeds and an off position. The old

Customer Question

My old fan switch had 3 speeds and an off position. The old switch was made by KTE and had terminals marked L, 1, 2, 3. The pull chain broke inside of the plastic casing. I replaced it with a Westinghouse 77020, 3 speed fan switch. The Westingouse switch looks the same as the KTE and the 4 terminals are labeled the same: L, 1, 2, 3.
I was diligent to connect the wires onto the new switch as they were wired on the old one. I am positive I have the black wire going to L and the red wire going to 1. I'm 99% sure I put the other 2 wires into the 3 an 4 positions correctly but unless I take off the housing and look I can't tell you which colors went to each terminal.
My problem is that now I can't shut the fan off using the pull chain. My first pull I get fast speed, the second pull medium speed, the third pull slow speed, but the 4th pull puts it right back into high speed instead of shutting it off.
What happened?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

When you first hook it up, is the fan already running after you put power to it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan was running, I shut off the circuit breaker, changed the switch and turned the breaker back on. The fan started up again as soon as the breaker was turned back on.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

But originally, the fan is being turned on and off through that pull switch?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I can turn the light kit on or off either with its pull chain or the wall switch. I can not use tha same wall switch to turn the fan off or on. I always had to use the pull chain only to control the fan speeds of and on.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Now disconnect the black wire ( L) and see if the fan would stop running.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I would have to remove the housing cover, and possibly the switch depending whether or not I can get at the black.
What should happen if I remove the black wire?
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
The fan should stop.

If the fan stops, then the new switch is defective or you could probably just pulled the switch fast enough that it switches back to high speed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would have to try that before I can click on accept. It could take an hour or so.
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.
It is fine.

If I am not online, just click accept ( If you want ) and I would get paid. If you have any more questions, just post it here also and I will answer them as soon as I log back in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your information was of no help to me.

I had to get information myself from other internet sources and also from Hampton Bay.
The proper answer is that the Westinghouse switch, even though it is marked the same way as the original, had to be connected differently. The orange wire had to be put into the L postion, the black into 1, yellow into 3 and purple into 4.

The orginal had the black as L orange as 1, purple as 3 and yellow as 4.

I will not accept any payment to you based on the fact you offered no solution.