I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
13086822

Dear Sirs I have a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II. It worked

Customer Question

Dear Sirs:
I have a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II. It worked fine for the past 2-3 yrs until just the other night. Somehow, it will not clean the glasses properly--a cloudy film is left on them. The dishes do not get clean & shiny either. I tried diff. water temps as well as different settings (pots & pans, etc.) to no avail.
I just lost my job 2 months ago and cannot afford expensive repairmen, IF the problem is simple.
CAN YOU HELP ME?
S.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

If your dishwasher is cleaning poorly, check these:

Water-inlet valve
Internal filters
Drain valve
Spray arms
Water temperature
Detergent cup
Water-inlet valve

Most cleaning problems are caused by the dishwasher not getting enough wash water, so the water-inlet valve is often to blame. This valve is usually at the bottom left or right of the dishwasher, behind the lower access panel. It's the device with the main water line from the house, a rubber tube to the dishwasher, and two wires attached to it.

When a water-inlet valve is defective, you may hear the sound that's usually referred to as "water hammer." If the water-inlet valve is defective, you need to completely replace it.

Dishwasher Water Inlet Valve Replacement

Be sure to read and understand any instructions that come with the new water inlet valve.

Tools required:

Adjustable wrench

Multi-Screwdriver

Pliers

Step 1. Disconnect the dishwasher from its power source.

Note: Dishwashers are usually wired directly to the home’s electrical system. To disconnect the power, switch off the circuit breaker or remove the fuse for the electrical circuit the dishwasher is attached to. Try to turn the unit on after disconnecting the power to be sure you were successful.

CAUTION: If you’re not sure you’ve shut off the power properly, DO NOT CONTINUE. Call a qualified appliance repair technician to complete the repair.

Step 2. Turn off the water supply to the dishwasher. This is usually underneath the kitchen sink or in the basement or crawlspace near the location of the dishwasher. Pliers may be helpful here.

Note: If there are no shut-off valves, you must shut the water off at the main water supply valve for your home.

Step 3. Remove the lower panel(s) of the dishwasher. These are usually held by 2 to 4 screws at the upper and lower corners of the panel(s).

The inlet valve is usually near the front of the dishwasher. Attached to the valve you’ll see: 2 or 4 wires, the water supply line from the house and the water feed line that goes to the dishwasher.

Step 4. Remove the household water supply line from the valve. The line is usually secured with a brass compression nut. The water supply line is usually copper or braided stainless steel.

CAUTION: Water supply line may be hot.

Step 5. Remove the fitting from the valve the water supply line was attached to. This fitting may be very difficult to remove. It may help to put the valve into a vice in order to remove the fitting. If you cannot remove it, replace it. The fitting is not an appliance part but a plumbing part that is available at most hardware stores.

Step 6. Remove the screws holding the valve to the dishwasher frame.

Step 7. Label the wires to the valve so you’ll be sure to reattach them correctly.

Step 8. Remove the wires from the valve.

Step 9. Remove the clamp on the black rubber water discharge tube and pull the tube off of the valve.

Step 10. Reinstall the old fitting (or a replacement fitting if necessary) onto the new valve the water supply line was attached to. Use Teflon tape or pipe joint compound as a thread sealant. Make this fitting tight to prevent leaks. Make sure that the fitting points in the same direction as the old one so that the water supply line will meet up with it properly.

Step 11. Install the new valve in the reverse order of the removal instructions.

Note: The water supply line is under high pressure. Be sure to tighten the fittings properly.

Step 12. Turn on the water to the machine, and check for and correct any leaks.

Step 13. Reinstall the access panel(s). Restore the power to the dishwasher and test.

Note: You may have to let the dishwasher run a few minutes before it reaches the next water fill cycle.

Internal filters
Every dishwasher has some type of filter to keep large food particles and foreign objects away from the pump assembly:

* Most modern dishwashers have self-cleaning filters that don't need any routine cleaning.

* Some have filters in the bottom of the dishwasher that you need to periodically clean. You don't need any tools to remove the filter, and cleaning it is easy. Consult your owner's manual to determine which type you have and its maintenance requirements.

If your filter is clogged, it may be causing the cleaning problem.

Drain valve
Some dishwashers have a valve (or gate) that should open only during draining. If debris lodges in the valve, it can't close properly, so water drains out during the wash cycle. Most dishwashers drain into the garbage disposer. If yours does that, listen for water flowing into the disposer during the wash cycle. If you can hear it then, the drain valve may be clogged.

Spray arms
There's a spray arm at the bottom of your dishwasher--it may have a tall spray tube mounted to the center of it. There may also be a spray arm located directly beneath the upper rack of dishes and/or above the upper rack.

If debris is blocking the holes in the spray arms where the water comes out, it could cause cleaning problems. Regularly inspect each of the spray arms and clean out the holes as necessary.

Water temperature
To get the best cleaning results, the water entering your dishwasher needs to be hot enough. Try running the hot water in your kitchen sink for about 30 seconds before starting the dishwasher, to pre-heat it. Also, if your dishwasher lets you select a higher wash or rinse temperature, try that to see if it helps.

To check the temperature of the hot water that comes from your kitchen faucet use a waterproof thermometer. If the water isn't 120 degrees Fahrenheit, your dishwasher may have trouble getting your dishes clean. You could increase the temperature of the hot water to the whole house--and therefore the dishwasher--by adjusting the hot water heater thermostat.

Warning! To lessen the risk of scalding, don't set the hot water heater temperature higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Detergent cup
Dishwashers don't perform their best if detergent is introduced only at the beginning of a cycle, so add detergent to both parts of the cup.

If the detergent cup isn't opening, see the "The detergent cup doesn't open" section, below.
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I read the ABOVE in your response, but I DID NOT SEE the section (below) about the detergent cup. We definitely have a PROBLEM WITH THE DETERGENT CUP, as it is quite erratic--sometimes working, sometimes not.
WHERE is that "SECTION" so I can read about it? Please help! Customer
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about that!
Here is the rest of the story.

The detergent cup doesn't open
When the detergent cup doesn't open, check these:

Timer
Bi-metal switch or wax motor
Detergent cup, itself
Timer
On many dishwashers, a plastic actuator arm mechanically links the timer to the detergent cup. When the timer reaches the proper time in the cycle, the timer activates a lever that opens the detergent cup. If the linkage is broken or defective, the cup stays closed after you've closed it. Check the link and repair or replace it, as necessary.

Bi-metal switch or wax motor
A bi-metal switch is a simple electrical device that deforms when electricity is applied to it. The degree of this deformation can be engineered to concise standards.

The timer energizes the bi-metal switch inside your dishwasher door--directly behind the detergent cup--when the detergent cup should open. When energized, the bi-metal switch deforms away from the detergent cup latch, which opens the detergent cup. If the bi-metal switch is defective, it may not deform enough to open the cup. If that happens, you need to replace it.

On some dishwashers, the bimetal switch is wired through the heating element or motor circuit. If the element is broken (or open), or if the motor is drawing low current because of a low-fill situation, the bi-metal switch doesn't open properly.

Newer dishwasher models use a wax motor instead of a bi-metal switch. It's a sealed unit with wax that heats up and pushes a piston through to open the door. The wax motor, controlled by the timer, mechanically opens the door.

Detergent cup, itself
The detergent cup itself can become clogged with old dried detergent that prevents it from opening. Sometimes just cleaning the cup takes care of the problem. If not, you probably need to replace the entire cup assembly