Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a Maytag Advanced Cooking System range oven, about 9

I have a Maytag Advanced Cooking System range oven, about 9 or 10 years old. I cleaned the oven yesterday, and now get a "F1" error and beeping. Hitting cancel doesn't help, nor does unplugging and replugging. The only thing that works is to re-lock the oven. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.

Start oven as if you were going to do a self clean....when self clean starts hit cancel...Let me know what you come up with...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Same problem re-occurs. When I cancelled the self-clean and unlocked the oven, the F1 error and beeping returned.
Does the oven lock and unlock ok..?...Can you locate a model number..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the oven appears to lock and unlock w/o any problems.

The model number is XXXXX

Then your temperature sensor is bad ...OR ...The Erc is bad (computer)....Usually what happens with a self clean is the intense heat that is created damages the electronic components...I would first check the temperature sensor ..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you check the whether temperature sensor is bad? I.e., is there a test, or do I buy a replacement and see if that works....
You can use a ohm meter at room temp it should read 1050 to 1100 ohms(sometimes not always accurate).The ERC monitors the sensor circuit after a heat cycle and expects the resistance to drop back to 1050-1100 ohms. The fault code is generated when this doesn't happen. Checking the sensor circuit means also checking the harness, harness connections and the sensor itself.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sounds like I need to remove the sensor in order to test it - is that correct? If so, I can see two screws holding it to the oven; I'm assuming that I can just detach the screws and unplug whatever the connection is? And do I need to unplug the oven itself?

Also, I don't know the cost of a replacement sensor or a replacement display unit. Given the age of the oven, should I be thinking about a replacement instead?

On average around $65.00..Yes unplug oven also...That is up to you,is oven in good working order other wise...You can also try ordering sensor first from this site..they have a good return policy... www.repairclinic.com

Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One last question before I proceed with your suggestions - do you see any difficulties or jpotential problems with a total novice removing and replacing the sensor? What about the ERC (computer)?
It is fairly straight forward.Remove screw from inside unplug connection..Alot of times even tho sensor test ok they can be bad at higher temps...i would replace sensor...First...Do you have a model number of oven..?

Ok...I see it here in your post....Was checking to see if you had a seperate keypad..But you do not...Sometimes the keypad could cause a F1 code...Yours does not have seperate keypad.....If you order the part from the website i have provided if it doesnt work for you ...You can return it...Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, we need to use the oven, so I will need to get a sensor today from the local appliance dealer....

Then i would at least test it with a ohm meter....If it shows over 1150 at room temp then you know for sure that will be your problem...As a tech before replacing ERC i would test sensor...If it showed ok then i would still install a known working sensor to make certian before replacing ERC...Thanks Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair