Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

ice maker works, but no ice or water is dispensed. what could

Customer Question

ice maker works, but no ice or water is dispensed. what could be the problem? thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me make and model#? thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a GE and model number GSL22JFREB8, it was purchased less than 2 years ago, but has not been used. there are some thin ice in the ice maker. when you push the ice or water from the door, no action or noise.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this refrigerator hasn't been used or the ice and water wasn't hooked up? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was hooked up but no one lived in the unit for that long, over a month ago once I tried to get water. I could hear the pump, but took long time to get water from dispenser.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok do you here a buzzing noise comming from the back when you push the water dispenser in ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok this could be the board in this, this is a common problem with these refrigerators but you need to test for power going to the valve before we can be sure, it may be the valve itself. do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, but how about ice dispenser? is this related to the pump as well?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no thats true the dispenser should work. ok so its not making ice and the dispenser dosnt make any noise when pushed either? I believe in that case its the board. Main Control Board - Click Image to Closeyou can get this here, http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8 this should take care of your problem, its the mother board and its located behind a cover on the back of the refrigerator if you pull it away from the wall, hope this helps thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is making ice, in other word there are ice made in storage.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok its the board, this board controls eveything and its common in this problem , G.E has re digned these board I believe 4 different times , I replace about 5-6 of these a month for the same reason.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX boards under any sort of recall from GE. also I press the accept button.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
thanks , hopefully you can get this replaced by G.E., well wishes , Bryan