william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate

I have a problem with the interior paint bubbling and peeling

I have a problem with the interior paint bubbling and peeling off. After checking consumer complaints on G.E. , this is not an uncommon problem. What is the cause of this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.
what are you working on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

y G.E. microwave oven interior is bubbling and peeling. What causes this? I don't use

any cleaner other than dishwasher soap and water after I do the dishes. I do not use the micro for any long period cooking. No reason for this as far as I'm concerned.

[email protected]
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.
what kind of paint are you useing? and how big of a area is this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't used any paint of this interior, it is the original interior that is coming bubbling and coming off. I have seen numerous complaints on the G.E. complaint line but no reason given for this problem. ann martines
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.
it was bad when they made it have you called GE about this and complained about it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, they do not want to assume any responsibility for it nor does the appliance dealer. Ann
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

how do they not want to assume any responsibility there the ones who made this!!

how big is the area? i would call them again and threaten them with a lawyer see if they change there tune!!! how old is this? this make me mad and its not even mine!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The combination oven and microwave wall unit is 5 years old. This has been on-going for a year. A tech from the place I bought the unit just left and said after he filled my house with nauseting fumes, that that was the best he would do, not could do. That was all he was going to do! He sprayed the interior with a G/E/ recommended appliance paint but it raised up and will most likely peel off again. I will not use this oven and micro again for fear of the fumes being heated and going into our food.

Will lmost likely have to get a lawyer!

Ann But, my question still hasn't been answered? What could cause this?

Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

all i can say is that they did not prep the surface for painting just like when your gonna paint a car the surface has to be cleaned really good for the paint to adhere if not then you will get peeling or bubbles in the paint ive read the reviews and theres alot of people with this problem some even have it when its still new and with it being under warrenty yet they gotten a new microwave but this is what you do if you want to repair it yourself

You need to thoroughly clean it, then sand it smooth to remove all the loose paint.

Once it's squeaky clean and dry, you can apply high-temperature appliance paint, which is available in brush-on or spray-on form at big box stores like Wal-Mart, home improvement centers like Lowe's and appliance parts stores

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The tech did all of that and just finished. Got the appliance paint from G.E. at the hefty price of $48.00 pr. can. He used a primer first then the paint and it still is not going to work. It looks like a reaction to the product now!

Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.
where you there when he did this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the fumes were horrible!
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.
if he did this right it should be okay maybe you should try it and use the brush on paint
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't want to heat any food in the micro or oven for that matter. With the fumes that filled house I would say that it would not be safe for any further use. I do not want to keep messing with these chemicals, I'm afraid of them especially around the kitchen and our food. Thank you even if I still don't know what could have caused this in the first place. The tech insinuated that it was something I had done that caused it! Very distressing.! He said I must have used some chemical cleaner that ruined the paint. When I explained I used nothing but the water from my dishes. dishwasher soap and a sink of water, he didn't believe me. I'm thorought disappointed in G.E. and will never have another product in my house.
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

i dont blame you one bit but the fact remains is that it came like this from the factory you and 20,000 people if not more have this same problem and ge dosent want to own up to it think about it why would they even make a paint for the interior anyways that ought to say something thats my opinion i would put a sign in front of my house saying dont ever buy a ge microwave boycott them