John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Our Whirlpool dryer does not dry clothes completely. The unit

Customer Question

Our Whirlpool dryer does not dry clothes completely. The unit is about 5 years old. My husband seems to think the vent duct is clogged; however, we had that cleared (force air-blown) at time of installation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question,Try one load with the venting off, the dryer,I will need the Model # XXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. I do not understand your comment "try one load with venting off." Please explain. are you suggesting to pull the dryer out from the wall and disconnted the duct exhaust then test dry a load?

2. I am currently at work and will need to check model # XXXXX I get home tonight.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok ,But do that,I want to know ,If its the venting,One load will tell me ,If we have to look further
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My handyman said the practice or advice that routine "cleaning out the dryer vent" is not necessary. It made sense to me since we had an older dryer unit over 10 years and never cleared the duct. Wondering if that is a common myth or misconception that it helps to improve drying and/or house fires? What you are asking us to do is not easy and will require hiring 2 people for half a day.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I dont understand all the work you have to do to take the vent off the back of the dryer ,why would it involve doing all that,And cleaning the vent is really important
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dryer in completely surrounded on all sides (positioned in a corner of laundry room against the back wall and one inch away from the Duet washer), and there is a 4-inch raised tile section in front (installed as caution in case of water hose break to prevent escaping into rest of house). So in order to remove the dryer vent off the back side, will require some man-power to reach. If you are telling me that is the best way to proceed to find out what is the etiology short of a service call, I will proceed.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Well first then Go outside where the vent leaves the house and turn the dryer on and see if theres a good air flow ,If its not that good , you might have to do that,The venting could even be kinked at the back of the dryer,If you use bounce sheets it could do the same,Take the lint filter and put water through the filter ,slowly,Does the water go through the filter,Or pool on the mesh,It could cause problem as well,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. I will reply back with the requested information (model number) tomorrow.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Check the things I asked you to check ,I might not need the model #
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will still need to hire someone to check the outside vent outlet because it is located on the roof (washer and dryer on second floor). So, I would like to provide the information you initially requested to seek other possible causes. Will send tomorrow, thank you.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
If its vented on the roof,Theres probably a screen at the vent ,And its probably clogged up, That would be the place to look for the problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. I'll get the handyman to take a peek. May I return to this discussion if that does not anser the problem?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
For sure .The jobs not done till the paper work is done
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi docjohn174. Sorry for the delay in getting back in touch. I forgot to bring the information you requested yesterday. The model number of our dryer is GEW9200LW0

(all zeros, not letter "O").

Karen

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

HI Karen

Did you check the roof vent

http://www.partstap.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=265488

Here is a breakdown of your dryer,for future

But I still think its on the roof

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX does this breakdown help me determine the cause if the outside vent is clear?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I sent you that just so you could see what the dryer looks like inside,Check the roof Then If its not there we can check further,Every roof vent has a screen to keep critters from getting in the vent,and I think thats what the problem is
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The roof vent already has a screen, it was placed when we installed the newCustomer and at the same time we cleaned out the duct (with leaf blower). While I agree with you that is the first thing to rule-out, I believe that is not likely the problem. Since I am unable to get our handyman to the house until June 1st (he is booked solid), thought I should be prepared as to the next step. You asked for the model number so I assumed that would help you inform us about the next most likely problem originating from the dryer itself.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
And thats the problem ,The screen on the roof, it catches all the lint from the dryer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Why did you need the model number?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
So I could look at the dryer , to see if it could be anything else,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, are you saying you do not see any other cause of our problems now that you have looked?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Yes thats right ,If theres a screen on the roof vent I wont change my mind
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Great thanks