Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I just purchased a new GE gas range Model #JGBP25SEN4SS. I

I just purchased a new GE gas range Model #JGBP25SEN4SS. I installed the propane conversion kit that came with it. Everything works fine except the bottom oven burner. The range top burners have a nice blue stable conical flame with no yellow in the tips. The same applies to the broiler in the top of the oven. However, the bottom oven burner is extremely long, unstable, with very long yellow tips.

The instructions indicated that the lower burner orifice hood should be turned CW, as viewed from above, approx. 2.5 turns until snug with the base. I was only able to turn it approx. 1.25 turns and it became very tight, so I stopped in order not to damage anything. I then opened the air shutter wide open to the LP position. As stated earlier, the flame is terrible. It is too large, noisy, yellow and unstabe. I then backed off the burner orifice hood nut to try different positions, but with the same result.

Please help.

Ed Stokes [email protected]
well you need to close that orifice more.I dont know why these get so tight though I've seen that before. thsi will bring the flame down . you may need to remove the orifice and make sure its not cross threaded , let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Bryan,

I removed the orifice completely, cleaned and oiled the threads. I measured the threads to make sure it would screw all the way down. I was able to get a deepwell socket on it from above so I didn't have to worry about damaging the brass hex. It screwed on easier with the lubrication, but still a little tight at the end. It did go all the way down. The flame is as it should be now.

Ed Stokes

thats good news.sometimes these are real tight Ive had a few like that and you just have to go for it and hope it goes in all the way, I hope I helped some ,well wishes and thanks Bryan